Cash from sale of security shows as "N/A" in Cash amount of register

Options
jkg10
jkg10 Member
I have been using Quicken since 1989 and have always been able to track my brokerage accounts the same way. When I sell a security, I use the action "sold" I enter the Security and then list shares/price. In the pop up windo it shows "record proceeds" to this accounts cash balance. (note it is greyed out, but that's fine because that is the correct place to record the proceeds. However when I enter the transaction, the cash from the sale doesn't go anywhere and it says "N/A" under the column cash amt.

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    The N/A indicates that there are one or more Placeholders in the account for that security with a later date than the transaction you are trying to enter. Placeholders prevent earlier transactions for that security from affecting your cash balance.

To make the Placeholders visible, go to Edit > Preferences > Investment transactions and make sure Show hidden transactions is selected. Then find and delete the Placeholders.

For information on resolving placeholders, please see this FAQ:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7267839/quicken-faq-managing-placeholder-entries-in-quicken-for-windows

Always back up your data file before changing historical transactions.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    The N/A indicates that there are one or more Placeholders in the account for that security with a later date than the transaction you are trying to enter. Placeholders prevent earlier transactions for that security from affecting your cash balance.

To make the Placeholders visible, go to Edit > Preferences > Investment transactions and make sure Show hidden transactions is selected. Then find and delete the Placeholders.

For information on resolving placeholders, please see this FAQ:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7267839/quicken-faq-managing-placeholder-entries-in-quicken-for-windows

Always back up your data file before changing historical transactions.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • jkg10
    jkg10 Member
    Options
    Jim, thank you so much. I remember saying yes to a placeholder when I was tired and then I couldn't find it to delete it. I had a feeling the problems were connected, but would never have figured it out without your help. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.