IntuitUpdateService.exe - disable at Startup

Options
Ps56k2
Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
Happen to see this process running a lot when viewing what was active on Win 10.
I disabled the auto-startup of this process....
Wondering if it is just needed to continually check for Quicken software release updates,
or is also for any manual downloads ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did you happen to see what folder it is in?
    Because I have no such file on my machine, which implies it has nothing to do with Quicken.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I’ll look - as it may be part of TurboTax… 
    but sometimes hard to tell what’s still leftover from the old Intuit + Quicken days. 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I found it here C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\Update Service v4, which is a subfolder of 

So it seems to be TT related.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a TT user myself and have seen that program waste CPU cycles and time on my machine ...
    Does that program have to run non-stop, year-round even though TT is used only for a little while every year, until I am done filing my taxes?
    Can somebody nudge TT Support? "Is that really necessary?"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I uninstall TT once I get my taxes done and save all the forms to a PDF.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm also wondering if that could impact TT updates? I had total failures when prompted to update. I could only resolve with uninstall/reinstalls to get updates. 
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm just leaving it "Disabled" in the Windows Startup Programs....
    If only exclusive for TT - then it will be addressed next TT install...
    If QWin might also use it, as some leftover - now doubtful - then it will become apparent at some point.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My Win10 PC shows it's currently running 125 background processes. I doubt stopping one will have any visible effect.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My Win10 PC shows it's currently running 125 background processes. I doubt stopping one will have any visible effect.
    I run an old widget that shows CPU and RAM usage - when the CPU goes high, with NO programs running - I look for WHY.
    I use "process explorer" from Microsoft to see what's running - and the Intuit service was right up there....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To me programs like this only go to show how people/companies have a big ego and believe that their programs are way more critical than they really are.  And I might add if these programs are using any significant amount of CPU time, they are written wrong.

The only kind of application that should have an updater that is constantly running is a program this required to be constantly running.  For instance, Windows, Dropbox, OneDrive, ...

For all other programs they should just check for updates when they start.
    There isn't any reason that TurboTax or Quickbooks needs to be constantly checking for updates.

I do like @Damian does and uninstall TurboTax after I finish with my taxes, but I don't believe they should ever have an updater that runs in the background.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.