how to make accounts just the current year.

Options
ramarty
ramarty Member ✭✭
I use to be able to make my quicken file just be the current year, I thought that was called validate... but now it looks like validate is is for a corrupt file. My accounts are fine, I just want the file to be the current year 2022. How do I do that now ??? thanks for anyone trying to answer my question.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It sounds like you want to create a year-end-archive.  During this process you can select the option for your current data file to then start with a specific date.  You might want to go to Help > Quicken Help > search for "How do I archive Quicken information at year's end?"  That gives the step-by-step instructions for how to do that.
    Note:  Before doing this, be sure to back up your data file.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It sounds like you want to create a year-end-archive.  During this process you can select the option for your current data file to then start with a specific date.  You might want to go to Help > Quicken Help > search for "How do I archive Quicken information at year's end?"  That gives the step-by-step instructions for how to do that.
    Note:  Before doing this, be sure to back up your data file.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• ramarty
    ramarty Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for your help, that's what I was looking for.....
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you do want to split your Quicken data file in two, please remember that, once split in two, Humpty Dumpty cannot be put together again. There's no way to put two data files together as one, and do so correctly.
    That also means that you cannot do comparison or historical charts, graphs and reports spanning several years and more than one Quicken data file.
    IMHO, you should keep at least 4 complete years plus the current year in your data active data file and archive only transactions older than that.
    And another thing: When upgrading Quicken to new versions, do be sure to open each of these archive files. You need to keep the database format used in the archives compatible with your current version or you may not be able to access your archives in the future,
This discussion has been closed.