Manual Entry of Market Value for Bonds

Options
Lauren99
Lauren99 Member
edited August 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Is it possible to manually enter market value for bonds in my portfolio? Currently, my portfolio shows the market value to be the same as the cost basis (which is not the case).

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lauren99 - what type of bonds are these?  Do you have a CUSIP symbol for each?  Depending on your answers, there are different ways bonds can be valued.  
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If your bond or bonds don't have a ticker symbol then Quicken won't update the prices; their outside quote-provider only supplies quotes for securities with ticker symbols.  If the bonds have a CUSIP number then the broker holding the bonds will typically provide those quotes, assuming the broker is setup for downloading into Quicken.
    But to answer your direct question directly... Yes you certainly can update market values for bonds manually.  Open either the "Holdings" window in the Investment Account or open Portfolio View.  Set the date of the window to the date where you want to update the quote, put the cursor in the Quote/Price column for the selected bond, then type in the number.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The method @Tom Young describes above works best if you are entering prices for several bonds or other securities for the same date.

If you are entering several historical prices a security, you can enter them on the Security Detail view. In a Holdings or Portfolio view, click on the name of the security, then click on More and Edit price history.  
    QWin Premier subscription
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jim....I couldn't follow that.  But I have Q2013.  When I click on the name in Portfolio I don't see "More".  What I do is Right Click on the name and then on Price History to update.  I guess just another way to do it.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @volvogirl, Quicken rearranged and somewhat modernized the Security Detail View last year sometime, changing the way to access the Price History.

But I didn't know about that right-click trick to get to the Price history! 
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.