Are Quicken desktop and Quicken Mobile App separate ?

Options
pls'
pls' Member ✭✭
edited August 2022 in Using the Mobile App
I just had my credit union tell me that they support Quicken desktop but not Quicken mobile. Everything I've seen from Intuit seems to say that desktop and mobile are a single package and the financial institution has no choice about supporting mobile or not.

What the truth? Can an institution choose to not support the mobile app? Why would they?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If a financial institution supports the Direct Connect or the Express Web Connect connection methods, the cloud account may import transactions obtained from the financial institution in advance of the desktop application.  Otherwise, the transactions will appear in the cloud account when the desktop syncs with the Quicken Cloud.

If your credit union only supports the Web Connect connection method, they might say they support Quicken desktop but not Quicken mobile or Quicken on the Web.

Every financial institution decides whether they will support any of the connection methods.  There are direct costs associated with the Direct Connect and Web Connect connection methods and there are indirect costs associated with the Express Web Connect connection method.
  • pls'
    pls' Member ✭✭
    Options
    I download transaction from the credit union by doing a One Step Update. If I understand the terminology, that is direct connect. Given that, does the credit union even have the choice not to support the mobile app. Doesn't the mobile app fall out of supporting direct connect?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    pls' said:
    I download transaction from the credit union by doing a One Step Update. If I understand the terminology, that is direct connect. Given that, does the credit union even have the choice not to support the mobile app. Doesn't the mobile app fall out of supporting direct connect?
    One Step Update may use the Direct Connect or the Express Web Connect connection method to import transactions from a financial institution.  One way to determine which connection method is being used is to open the account register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, and select the Online Services tab. 

Financial institutions may support connection methods that may be used by the Quicken desktop and the Quicken Cloud to import transactions from accounts at financial institutions.  Otherwise, Financial institutions do not directly support the Quicken desktop or the Quicken Mobile app.  We may have the Quicken desktop synchronize account registers with a cloud account and access the cloud account using the Quicken Mobile app and Quicken on the Web regardless of whether Online Services have been setup to import transactions from financial institutions for the synchronized accounts.

As I tried to explain explain earlier, when a synchronized account uses the Direct Connect or the Express Web Connect connection method, the cloud account may import transactions before they appear in the Quicken file on the desktop. 
  • pls'
    pls' Member ✭✭
    Options
    It is direct connect, according to the Onlne Services tab. Yes, you keep saying transactions may appear at different times in desktop and cloud. I wish you would answer my original question.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pls' said:
    It is direct connect, according to the Onlne Services tab. Yes, you keep saying transactions may appear at different times in desktop and cloud. I wish you would answer my original question.
    You asked four questions originally:
    1. Quicken Desktop and Mobile are separate?
    2. What the truth?
    3. Can an institution choose to not support the mobile app?
    4. Why would they?
    Which question has not been answered?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pls' said: It is direct connect, according to the Onlne Services tab.
    What is the name of your CU -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    pls' said: I just had my credit union tell me that they support Quicken desktop but not Quicken mobile.
    Not true if using Direct Connect or Express Web Connect - which both "touch" your accounts via a proxy service if you have enabled those specific accounts for the Quicken Cloud.... even if you never even access them via Mobile App or Web.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.