Google Stock Split

Options
davis.mc
davis.mc Member ✭✭
edited August 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Hi,

Google just recently did a 20-1 stock split.

However, when the transaction is done in my investment accounts it shows the 20 (New shares) and 1 (old shares) and the price an optional field. My total account is missing the entire cost of that share of Google stock. If I put the final price in that optional field it does nothing and I still my total investment account is missing the total cost of the Google stock which should be was like a 20(the shares now)*110(price of the stock after the split) - so it's missing $2200.

What is happening here? It doesn't seem like Quicken is addressing this correctly. Or is there another way to do this? Should I delete the stock split transactions and just enter a buy transaction of 20 shares at $110 per share manually? I would have thought that Quicken would address this appropriately.

Does anybody have any input/feedback, thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What brokerage … 
    my Schwab acct, and others are sharing that their accounts downloaded a proper Stock Split transaction vs just something like Add Shares. 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    Options
    It's TDAmeritrade.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    davis.mc said: Google just recently did a 20-1 stock split.
     My total account is missing the entire cost of that share of Google stock.
    ok - so what transaction did TD download to Quicken... was it merely a "Add Shares for 20" ?
    To keep your historical cost basis, you don't want to BUY anything.... 
    I usually just delete the "Add Shares",
    and manually enter a "Stock Split" for 20-1 and then Quicken will recalc the numbers.
    Looks like TD uses the Direct Connect for downloading...
    07768    07768    07768    TD Ameritrade    http://www.tdameritrade.com    1-800-228-8056
    https://invest.ameritrade.com/grid/p/login    ACTIVE
    INVESTMENT,ACCOUNTINFO&DIRECT    

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    Options
    TD just downloaded the stock split with 20 new shares and 1 old. No price or anything (which is optional). It didn't really add shared just did the stock split for a 20 new shares and 1 old. :-(

But it deleted like the $2200 for that 1 share and only put in like $5 (where it got that I don't know especially when there was no price.)

It is interesting though because TD is actually owned by Charles Schwab.

I did delete those transactions and tempted the manual stock split entry but it did the same thing whereas I put in the 20 new and 1 old and did the price this time but didn't change anything and still went back to that $5 situation.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is not complicated.  The downloaded transactions from your brokerage may or may not be acceptable.  I don't know what TDA did, not can I tell from your description.

There should be one transaction in your transaction list for the applicable account, similar to one shown below.  Your specific security name may be different than mine.  Any other type of transaction is inappropriate.
    The "Share Balance" column should reflect the post-split number of shares.

A Portfolio View (Ctrl-U) or a Holdings selection can show the cost basis for the entire holding for a specific date as shown here:

If you toggle the "As of" date from the 18th to the 17th (or before), the Cost Basis column should remain the same (for the entire holding); the number of shares will vary by the 20-factor.  The Quote/Price will also vary and the Market Value will vary (by a 'small' amount.

Your price history for the Class A GOOGL shares should look like this:

You may need to edit a few of the prices in the 7/11-7/15 date range and before if you are seeing $100+ per share prices shown for those earlier dates.  Class C GOOG shares would be similar.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    davis.mc said: TD just downloaded the stock split with 20 new shares and 1 old.
    As mentioned by @q_lurker - you downloaded one of two different transactions.... the wording matters.
    A - "Stock Split" transaction with the 20-1 shares boxes entered
    B - "Add 20 shares" transaction -
    You can't have both comments in the same sentence....
    Since we can't see your screen, or know what you have messed with....
    Take a look at the Google - Security Detail -
    It will show the transactions history at the top - and the current market info on the left side.
    Depending upon what you see for when you originally purchsed your 1 share of Google,
    you should be able to fix things up....  
    Of course the Stock Split transaction goes back and recalcs the Cost Basis
    and the original share pricing to reflect the current 20-1 split, but keeping the same overall Market Value.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    Options
    I did: "You may need to edit a few of the prices in the 7/11-7/15 date range and before if you are seeing $100+ per share prices shown for those earlier dates. Class C GOOG shares would be similar."

I did have to update from the 13th on though - yet the results are still the same. Nothing is any different. Still not even showing the $2235

@Ps56k2, that is exactly what I see on your Edit Stock Split but yet the amounts are not updating. This all just started after the stock split. It was fine before that.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @davis.mc
    Your capture.jpg (seems to show) shows 60:1 split.  !!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    q_lurker said:
    @davis.mc
    Your capture.jpg (seems to show) shows 60:1 split.  !!
    yeah -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Ps56k2 and @q_lurker, right but the total market value amount in quicken is now showing at least $2200+ less than what it was before the split. That is what I am trying to resolve so it shows that.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @davis.mc
    Let's also clarify some language -- 
    My total account is missing the entire cost of that share of Google stock. 
    Your account is missing the "Cost Basis" (what you paid for the shares) or the current market value (the current value of the shares)?  Your subsequent math about 20 shares and the 110 price suggest the latter, but use of the word 'cost' suggests the former.

For clarification -- Did you only have one share of GOOGL (Class A) prior that became 20 as a result of the split?

Where is it that you do not see this value (whichever, cost basis or market value) but you expected to see it?  I was suggesting a Holdings or a portfolio view as plausible view points for either value.  In particular for a portfolio view, make sure the view is customized to include the GOOGL security.

For the record, what Quicken are you using?  Your community profile indicates QW2017.  That should not make any difference,  Just want to confirm.    
  • davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    Options
    It is not missing the cost basis. How would it have been working in the "Total Market Value" in Quicken and it shown in Quicken.

Yes, the latter: "the current market value (the current value of the shares)". Even in the "Holdings" view it is not showing the correct amount.

I have stock in class A and class C. I am just referencing 1 share here though. But the same situation is happening with both.

With respect to the version of Quicken, it's the Quicken Home, Business and Rental Property - Version: R42.8 Build: 27.1.42.8
  • davis.mc
    davis.mc Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks all! It is now resolved.

I have not a clue what happened but when I downloaded the split transaction it jacked up a cost basis.

I realized when I compared to a backup file before the downloaded transaction and after I downloaded.

I will be officially filing a support with Quicken to see what may have happened and what can be done to keep it from happening. I think I can tell by the difference in the Total Market Value though. I will definitely share on any outcome.

Again, thanks for the help and very much appreciate it!
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You keep saying "cost basis" but I think you mean "market value" Cost basis is what you paid, market value is what it is worth today. 

Market Value = number of shares you own * current price per share. Sometimes Quicken gets the price per share wrong for a few days around a split.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.