Why does entry of a service fee for a dividend appear as Miscexp one time and Withdrwal another ti

Options
Michael 49
Michael 49 Member ✭✭✭
Quicken Deluxe - version R40.28; Build 27.1.40.28; edition Canada; Windows 11 Home
Browser: Firefox version 101.0 (64-bit)
Windows 11 Home Version:10.0.22000.1

Dividend for GRT.UN comes with a service fee. When entering the dividend income and specifying -$0.2 in miscellaneous, then selecting ' service fee' for category, the fee showed up one month as 'MiscExp' and the next month as 'Withdraw'.

Note: Screen shot required display in 'security' order. Normal date order display has withdrawal out of sequence before dividend (https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20273039#Comment_20273039)

p.s. why can't I upload more than 1 screen shot?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What stands out to me, looking at your picture, is that in the second instance of (dividend - fee) it looks like the fee didn't go to the Category "Fees & Charges" but instead the "Category" used looks to be an Account name, maybe the same Account in which you're making the entry?
    I couldn't reproduce this in my US version of Quicken as the "Category for miscellaneous" box won't accept an Account (i.e., "transfer"). 
    If you delete those last two entries and enter them again using the "Inc - Income (Div, Int, etc.)" action does the 2nd leg of that transaction continue to come back as a Withdraw?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @Michael 49 - I think the difference is probably because for the 6-15-2022 transaction you entered the security name in the MiscExp transaction and for the 7-18-2022 you did not.  The security name is optional and if not entered in a MiscExp transaction, the transaction reverts to a "Withdraw" transaction.

• Michael 49
    Michael 49 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Hi Damian,

I'd accept your answer if I was entering the dividend and expense as 2 separate entries. However, I'm entering the expense with the dividend in the income panel (where the security is also specified).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @Michael 49 - I think I figured it out.  If you add a Payee to the MiscExp transaction, it changes to a "Withdraw" transaction.

Misc Exp transaction with no payee

Same transaction with "Test Payee" entered as payee

If you then remove the payee, the transaction then reverts back to MiscExp
  • Michael 49
    Michael 49 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi Tom,

In both instances I used the "Inc - Income (Div, Int, etc.)" action which gave different results. I just went through and deleted the 6/15 and 7/18 entries and re-entered the data and this time, both show the expense as 'withdraw', category:fees& charges. This tells me a 'bug' was fixed but no one owns up to it.
  • Michael 49
    Michael 49 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Options
    > @Damian said:
    > @Michael 49 - I think I figured it out.  If you add a Payee to the MiscExp transaction, it changes to a "Withdraw" transaction.
    >
    > Misc Exp transaction with no payee
    >
    >
    >
    > Same transaction with "Test Payee" entered as payee
    >
    >
    > If you then remove the payee, the transaction then reverts back to MiscExp

Hi Damian,
    At this point, as I responded to Tom, I think a 'bug' has been fixed. Since I used the same "Inc - Income (Div, Int, etc.)" action in June, I think the 'security name' was not being set up as 'payee' for the expense but was fixed when I did the entry for July. This can be closed.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @michael 49  - I am not Tom, but Damian.  Tom responded to you earlier this morning. 

It could be a bug, but it also could be just a programming change in how the transaction shows in the register.  I have found that no matter how it's created, a "MiscExp" transaction can be "touchy" meaning any update or change will make it a "Withdraw" transaction.  But ultimately, the end result is the same, no matter if it is a "MiscExp" or a "Withdraw" transaction.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @michael 49 - Understood.  Sorry, our last responses must have crossed.
  • Jerry_
    Jerry_ Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Folks, the US Quicken for Windows has a similar situation. I employ two brokerage firms. One firm includes a payee with the expense transaction: the other firm does not include a payee. This transaction is actually a foreign Tax Credit. Thus, the transaction from the first Firm shows as a "Withdrawal". The transaction from the second Firm shows as a "MiscExp".  I am only talking about a single expense transaction, not a transaction having both a dividend and expense recorded.  The work that I have to do to change the withdrawal back to a MiscExp expense should not have to be done. 

It might be interesting to view this discussion: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7880472/when-changing-a-withdraw-action-to-a-miscellaneous-expense-it-still-shows-as-withdraw#latest.

Running on the Quicken Windows Premier Subscription Plan
    Retired - former Computer System Analyst
This discussion has been closed.