How to merge two TRowe brokerage account files

jog1418
jog1418 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
TRPrice brokerage account stopped downloading account totals but connects fine. TRP admits their incompatability issue. Their fix was to start NEW account file that does download correctly. But new file does not include any account history (dividends, etc). Well little perplexed. Question .. anyway to merge the 2 separate files ?? Thanks for any info

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken has "accounts" and "files" but does not have anything called "account files."

Please be really specific about what you want to merge. Accounts or files?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl Quicken Windows Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you set up a new separate data file or just a new account in the same existing data file?  How did you do it?

First of all let's get the terminology right so we're all on the same page.

FILES - Your data is kept in a separate Data FILE (and not in the program).   In the data File you have all your accounts.  You can have more than one File like a  separate file for your parents or children or a club. Recent Files opened should be listed at the bottom of the FILE menu item. Your data file ends in .qdf and should be in your Documents (or Library) then in a Quicken sub Folder.  Or you can search your computer for all files ending in .qdf to find them.  Go to FILE - NEW QUICKEN FILE  to setup another data file. When you do a backup it only backs up the file currently open.  You get the whole data file and all the accounts in that one file.

ACCOUNTS - You can have many accounts in a File like a checking account, savings, credit card, asset, investment. Accounts are listed down the side in the Account Bar. You can do Ctrl+A or go to TOOLS - ACCOUNT LIST to bring up the Account listing.  You do not backup Accounts separately.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    To merge the registers, I suggest you move the transactions from the original register to the new register: open the original register, press Ctrl + Shift + N, and select Move Transactions

Before making any significant changes to a Quicken file: always save a backup: press Ctrl + B
  • jog1418
    jog1418 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
    I used confusing terminal, apology. TRP would connect but not download final transaction amounts to the Data file I had been using. Their solution was for me to start a new brand new Data file which does download all amounts correctly. However the new data file does not include any existing history from the original fike. I would like to know if it is possible to merge two separate Data files so I have one file with all my accounts and history.
    Or, if my original Data file is corrupted, can I repair ( I did use Verify tool with no luck) .. I will point out the original (corrupted??) file connects an excepts new transaction data but just will not update balances. I hope this is clearer than original description.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭
    jog1418 said:
    I used confusing terminal, apology. TRP would connect but not download final transaction amounts to the Data file I had been using. Their solution was for me to start a new brand new Data file which does download all amounts correctly. However the new data file does not include any existing history from the original fike. I would like to know if it is possible to merge two separate Data files so I have one file with all my accounts and history.
    Or, if my original Data file is corrupted, can I repair ( I did use Verify tool with no luck) .. I will point out the original (corrupted??) file connects an excepts new transaction data but just will not update balances. I hope this is clearer than original description.
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: How to 'merge' two Quicken files?

Regarding the original issue, I suggest you attempt the Copy and Validate Instructions as described in: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows
This discussion has been closed.