Quick fill for categories not working?

Options
yogijosie
yogijosie Member
I'm trying to assign a category to a vendor on my mac desktop version of QUicken. It doesn't seem to save it. So each time I see that vendor, I have to select the category again. Can someone point me to an article on how to do this? I am selecting the "quick fill" option but alas, it doesn't seem to work. Please explain how to do this in order to expedite my reconciling. Thanks!

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Try going to Window > Payees and Rules, and click the tab for QuickFill Rules. This is where Quicken shows all the existing QuickFill rules to Payees. Scroll or Search for the Payee you want; is there a QuickFill rule for that Payee? 

If not, you can create a QuickFill rule right here by pressing the + icon at the bottom of the window. Enter the name of the Payee, followed by the Category you want applied for this Payee. You can optionally also fill in other fields here if you wish. You may want to click the checkbox for "Use this as the default rule". Save the rule.

Now when you manually enter a transaction for this Payee, you should see two entries in the drop-down list of best matches: one for just the Payee, and one showing the Payee name and the category; select the latter to have the category entered. If you download a transaction for this Payee, Quicken should apply this rule automatically.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • yogijosie
    yogijosie Member
    Options
    I have all of that in place, yet when I download the transactions, those rules are not applied automatically. Any thoughts?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @yogijosie The next thing to check is the exact name of the Payee in the downloaded transactions. If it's slightly different than the Payee for which you have the QuickFill rule, then the rule won't be applied. (If this is the case, this is where Renaming Rules come into play. If your bank download a transaction like "Home Depot Store 12345", you can have a rule for Quicken to rename a Payee which contains "Home" "Depot" to "Home Depot".) Click on one of the downloaded transactions and do View > Show Inspector to see the name of the Payee downloaded by the bank (the "Statement Payee" near the bottom) and the Payee name Quicken assigned it. 

If there is only a single Payee for the downloaded transaction and the QuickFill rule, then I'm puzzled why the rule isn't applied upon download. It might help if you could post a screenshot of the Transaction Inspector and the QuickFill Rule.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • yogijosie
    yogijosie Member
    Options
    ok, let me try the renaming thing. thanks.
This discussion has been closed.