Why does Quicken now fill in second line of check register?

Options
SCABob
SCABob Member ✭✭
Quicken never used to do this and I do not see the necessity for such an entry. I often times use the second line in the register to add notes about the payment. Is there a way to stop Quicken from automatically filling in the register?

Best Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Current QWin makes this a per-account option under Online Services.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    One of the Moderators has been able to duplicate this issue and reported to the appropriate people to get it reviewed/fixed.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Options
    Sorry, I do not know what you mean by "second line in the register".  Please provide more specific information:
    • Type of Account:  Checking, Savings, Credit Card, Investment, Asset, Loan, etc.?
    • Field(s) Affected:  Category, Tag, Memo, etc.?
    Have you checked your Preferences to see if anything has changed there regarding auto fill?  Places to check include:
    • Date entry and QuickFill options.
    • Downloaded transactions options.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When using banking account registers, there's such a thing as "2-line registers", where the register displays 2 lines per transaction, to be able to show more text in each data field.
    There also is the "1-line-per-transaction" mode, where all columns are scrunched into only 1 line per transaction.
    Both settings have their own independent column selections. Click the Register columns button in the register view to make changes, e.g., to add a Memo column while in 1-line mode.
    To switch between 1- and 2-line modes and back press CTRL-2
  • SCABob
    SCABob Member ✭✭
    Options
    By second line in the register, I am referring to the Memo field that is just underneath the Payee field. Until a few months ago, the Memo field was left blank when I downloaded transactions to either the credit card or checking accounts. Now, Quicken downloads a more formal/correct identification of the Payee which, I assume, they get from the bank. I use this Memo field to annotate comments about the payment. I want the field left blank if I have nothing in it. How can I get Quicken to stop filling this field? Hope this info is a bit clearer than my original post.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Current QWin makes this a per-account option under Online Services.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• SCABob
    SCABob Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Rocket J Squirrel. I checked the box in the accounts and we'll see what happens next time I perform a transaction download. I've used Quicken since 1992, and never experienced this issue before.
  • TB
    TB Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Rocket. I, too, noticed the addition of the duplicate information on the memo line. Another "improvement" with the Quicken update. I'm old school. It would be nice to have updates have these new and improved options left "as was" and the ability to change them to the new stuff. But it is not so.
    Anyway, thanks for solving my problem that was frustrating me no end.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options
    One of the Moderators has been able to duplicate this issue and reported to the appropriate people to get it reviewed/fixed.

• Patti
    Patti Member ✭✭
    Options
    This is a new issue since the recent update. It seems that the check box for "Don't update the memo when downloading" default has been changed and is now unchecked by default after the update. I never used to get the updated memo field, and now I do after the update. I've checked the box now on each account and will see if it's corrected.
This discussion has been closed.