How to resolve an investment account whose balance does not match the holdings total?

Options
smmurnane
smmurnane Member
The total showing for an investment account is incorrectly less than the respective holdings balance which is correct. How can I correct this?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These numbers are displayed in several places in Quicken. Where are you looking when you see different amounts?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • smmurnane
    smmurnane Member
    Options
    I am comparing the balance in the account bar with the balances in the transaction details total and holdings total view of the respective investment. The Account Bar is incorrect by a significant % (apprx. 40% less)
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    Does the account have a linked checking account? If so, any cash in the account will be shown there.
  • smmurnane
    smmurnane Member
    Options
    No, the account does not have a linked checking account
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most investment accounts have 3 line items -
    - Securities Value
    - Cash Value
    - Market Total
    which of these are not matching.... and where

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• smmurnane
    smmurnane Member
    Options
    I have the following three balances:
    1. Investing balance (on the sidebar)
    2. Transaction view balance
    3. Holdings view balance
    The transaction view and holdings view balances are correct and equal each other. The Investing balance does not equal the other two balances and is incorrect.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    Click on the gear at the top right of the Account bar. Make sure Show current balance is selected. If Show ending Balance is selected, the Account bar will show the last balance in the account, including any future dated transactions. Does that explain the discrepancy you are seeing?
  • smmurnane
    smmurnane Member
    Options
    "Show Current Balance" was selected. Therefore this does not explain the discrepancy.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    Have you done a File > Validate and Repair > Validate file? Does that resolve the issue?
  • smmurnane
    smmurnane Member
    Options
    I had previously run validate and repair to no avail.
    I have, however, solved the error. I had previously (over a decade ago) had the investment account connected to a cash account. This became problematic so I discontinued it. The transactions that had been entered using the cash account represented the difference. They were listed in the transaction view under the cash column (but no value in the Amount Invested column). I deleted each of these transactions and now all is in synch.
    Thanks for your help.
This discussion has been closed.