R42.21 Critical Update message

Options
2»

Comments

• Roger Everson
    Roger Everson Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Apparently, the update to 42.8 happened before 42.19. I checked the new features of 42.8 and I do have the export to csv in reports, even though I am on version 42.21. Really messed up communications from Quicken. Maybe 42.8 should actually be named 42.18.
  • Roger Everson
    Roger Everson Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Bob. said:
    > Sorry if I said anything confusing. 42.8 was the update BEFORE 42.19 which was the update before today's 42.21. I have not looked at Mondo's but trust if there is a 42.8 there that it actually downloads 42.19 as others mentioned as that was the immediate release before today's 42.21 which some got offered, some like me got forced.
    > I think Jared may be unaware there were updates after 42.8.
    > But I'll try not to muddy waters further.

You didn't muddy anything. Very helpful.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kinda surprised nothing official posted here to address the latest issues with 42.21
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bob. said:
    Kinda surprised nothing official posted here to address the latest issues with 42.21
    Don't hold your breath....

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Bob. said:

@Bob. what latest issues?  I haven't seen any of consequence. But unfortunately, I do see a lot of people here today jumping to conclusions, stirring the pot and needlessly fanning the flames of angst. 
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Open your eyes my friend...If there was no issue why would so many folks alert Quicken here? 

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    @retird - the issues that I think you are referring to have nothing to do with R42.21
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Damian It is not a big one, but there is an old and incorrect popup warning to update or lose access to online banking and investment information, as I posted in early screenshots. This is triggered by updating to 42.21 and is pre 5/31/22 and should not be presented to the user. It can be confusing.
    It took me a while to realize eaxacltly why this is being shown and where it comes from. So the error is not as grave as I originally thought it might be. Just a confusing annoyance.
    Then a support member seems to be out of sync with the releases and believes the latest is two versions ago.
    And last, the numbering of releases is enough to confuse anyone which is current and which are chickens and eggs.
  • David24
    David24 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Bob. said:
    > @quicken jared - you are two versions behind. As said by several folks above. I think there needs to be better internal communication as well as testing. And not being contentious. Being serious. Another support person had posted that CHASE EWC+ is released. It is not. End of September.Difficult to see offical posts that are in error. Confuses the issues.

Number of updates is chaotic, at best. And, regarding testing - the community is the unpaid testing resource. Regression testing would be a great benefit to the product, and minimize the number of updates in a month, possibly simplifying the numbering scheme.
  • BEL
    BEL Member ✭✭
    Options
    Glad to see others experienced this. My concern given that the font and appearance were different than usual that it had been hacked and was a scam.
    Mine had updated yesterday to 42.21 and this message showed up today.
  • tmdecraene
    tmdecraene Member
    Options
    > @jacklevis said:
    > Same here....
    >
    > Both for the update warning and with Amex.  Amex has been working fine for me before this morning.

I also started getting error OL-294-A only on my Amex card after this update. I got the same message to update to 42.21. Got updated, but the Amex error still there. This only started after the update.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @Bob. - your ability to find issues and desire to help is admirable, but sometimes discussing issues based on misinformation and conjecture does more harm than good.  Discussing issues with the end goal of calming the mob and finding a solution is sometimes harder to do.  There are a lot of misinformation in these Amex posts.  Starting yesterday morning, I tried to stop the misinformation but gave up and needed to step away for today.  I was dismayed to get notification of over 100 unread Amex posts.   

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Damian - Forgive me, but no AMEX topic was started by me. I tried to exclude it, unsuccessfully, from the erroneous notice from the 42.21 updates topic that I did start.

And what disinformation did I provide? And how did you quantify that?
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorry, seeing you say 100 AMEX posts made me think we were in that topic or merged topics.

I'll still say what disinformation?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @Bob. - I was just using the Amex issue as an example of how discussing an issue can go very wrong.  Amex made some changes on 7/31 that caused the connect to "break".  Anyone who know how these things usually progress that patience is the key.  It's best to wait these issues out and not get involved with the "mob mentality".  If you are good at finding issues, be the one also to find the solution. 

As for this Critical Message issue.  Yes it was confusing to get this message and it probably was a programming glitch, but it is not something that anyone should be alarmed about or try to get others alarmed about.  Your comment - "Kinda surprised nothing official posted here to address the latest issues with 42.21" - seemed like a call for more discussion on issues more than just the "Critical Message issue", rather than calming the situation. 
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Actually, that comment was a surprise that @Quicken did not stop by to say something to the effect
    "we agree" this has happened before and is a small glitch. And I do believe, without searching, I also said this is not something of concern once I had coffee and put two and two together. That it was for the pre 5/31 builds and is a glitch that has resurfaced.

So, in my mind, I did find the solution, though you might call it conjecture. I do not. And I did not encourage angst about the issue.

I also was and remain concerned that this was forced on me and others when it appears not to be an official release. I am not signed up for beta releases. And I usually get the option to install a release when it is not released to all users.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And, BTW @Damian, I also mentioned in the AMEX threads this was not a result of the 42.21 update as I and others who posted experienced the AMEX glitch before we ever updated to 42.21. That obviously did not help as others kept poseing they updated and then AMEX was broken. I don't think that can be called conjecture on my part and was definitely an attempt to curb mob mentality.

So, we may have different ways of trying to get the same end results. And I add to my desires getting the attention of @Quicken so they know an issue is at hand. I often see them before they do.
  • Roger Everson
    Roger Everson Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Bob. said:
    >. I often see them before they do.

That does not help my opinion of @Quicken.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    > @Bob. said:
    >. I often see them before they do.

That does not help my opinion of @Quicken.
    I disagree. Think about it. They cannot have accounts at all the banks and credit cards and investments. And I check over coffee every morning. East Coast time. So I can and do see things they might not see for a while. Not everything, but some.

• David Ward
    David Ward Member
    Options
    The pop-up that precipitated this thread seems to have gone away. No pop-up the last two days of OSU for me, at least. Maybe the Quicken Powers figured out their goof, but no one thought to comment officially on this thread?
  • Roger Everson
    Roger Everson Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    > @Bob. said:
    > I disagree. Think about it. They cannot have accounts at all the banks and credit cards and investments. And I check over coffee every morning. East Coast time. So I can and do see things they might not see for a while. Not everything, but some.

The error message, which has not appeared again, referred to no particular bank. It said that all downloads would be disrupted. They could have noticed that. At the very least, they could have popped in and said something like, ‘Oops. False alarms. All good.’
  • lladna
    lladna Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @Damian not wanting to get into a back and forth, but if this thread gets under your skin, then simply don't read it? Let @quicken reply for themselves?
    As far as it's this a valid issue? Yes. A random unannounced update unlike any other I can recall comes through, including different popup warnings, seems worth checking. Has quicken been hacked and I fell prey? Seems strange to me, so I naturally hop on here to see what's going on.
    The one reply, that I am aware of from @quicken_Jared talks about 2 release prior being current (assuming the higher the number the newer the release). And now silence from a company who upended their business model to charge us yearly, yet no significant upside that I have been able to see (and feel free to say go somewhere else, but in the end, quicken remains the most robust for my needs, so I go along).

So is this a valid thread? In my opinion yes!
    What say you @quicken ? What's going on? Mistake, sounds good, admit it and move on! Hacked, yikes, please tell me now!, New way of doing updates, sure, please explain further.

I did just see this update that seems to indicate it was a "Hotfix" maybe in limited release: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7915960/windows-r42-xx-release-us#latest
    In my opinion could have been replied to here, but at least now we know.

Not to mention I think there was also some warning that morning about a change to one step update downloading pending charges also, if that's the case, that would be well worth more explanation on how it would work, especially when the pending charge was just a hold and does not convert to final... And yes, that is not for this thread, but something I just recalled.
This discussion has been closed.