Split transaction changing categories to "uncategorized" or "unspecified account".

Options
rkeyes00
rkeyes00 Member
After years of dealing with Quicken wiping out the categories on my splits I need to figure out what is going on. I literally get years of information wiped out and I have to go back and get tons of bank records to re-enter them only to have them wiped out again. I need these to be accurate for tax reporting, so this is wearing me out.

I have Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property. Version R42.21, Build 27.1.42.21. I will save a known good entry, let's say for a mortgage. I might have something like $500 going to the associated loan for principle payment and 1200 for interest. I save the transaction and then verify that both the entry and the memorized payee are as I saved them.

I come back the next month to enter a payment using the memorized transaction and the bank portion of the payment will be blank. I go to the last month's payment entry and now the principle payment is "Uncategorized" or "Unspecified Account". I start going back and looking at all the old transactions and I have dozens of transactions that have the same issue.

How do I stop this and is there any way to get all of my transactions back to what they were. It will take about a day's work to get them all correct again.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you tracking your mortgage in Quicken?  If so, is it being managed manually or is it linked to the lender so the balance gets updated during One Step Update?

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

• rkeyes00
    rkeyes00 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes, I am. What happens is that I do the 1 step update. Once I have the amount in the register I go in and match the split to the memorized payee that I have saved. One line goes to interest and the other towards the loan. Just when I pull up the split, the loan side will either be empty or unspecified. Then I got back and look at past entries and they are all in the same condition going back years. I have gone in and fixed them numerous times. When complete, I double check and they are good. Then I come back for the next month and they are messed up again.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the additional information.  But I am still unclear about the mortgage.  Is the mortgage connected with the lender and are you downloading from the lender?
    Also, I don't understand what you mean by matching "the split" to the memorized payee.  Memorized payee should not be a factor in this process.  When you set up the mortgage as an account the process should have created a Loan Reminder.  That Loan Reminder should be entered (either manually by you or automatically by Quicken if you have the Reminder set up to do that) before the payment transaction gets downloaded into the checking account.  How long before the payment transaction gets downloaded to enter the Loan Reminder is a matter of personal preference.  Some people will enter the Reminder just before downloading from the bank.  Others will enter the Reminder anywhere from a 1-2 days before the due date to as much as a month before the due date.
    When the payment is downloaded from the bank Quicken should be trying to match that payment to the Reminder that was previously entered into the checking account register. 
    Is this what you are doing?  If not, would you please provide exact step-by-step details of what you are doing?

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

This discussion has been closed.