How can I batch change amount?

Options
Forensics5
Forensics5 Member
edited September 2022 in Registers & Transactions (Mac)
I manually enter transactions, sometimes a couple of years into the future as a budgeting projection tool. I used to use Quicken for Windows and I know I had the ability to batch change the dollar amount. How can I do this in Mac? Why can't I do everything on a Mac that I could do on a Windows PC?

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    You can batch change Payee, Category, Tags, Transfer and Memo. But unfortunately, you can't batch change the amount. Here's the Idea post that you can vote for:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7917189/batch-change-dollar-amounts-in-register

Click the little triangle above the current number of votes (only 1 so far).

QMac is still catching up to QWin and probably will be for many years to come.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @RickO That Idea post was by the same user, posted 3 minutes after this post! ;)

As I commented in the other post, I'm trying to the use case for such a feature. I can't envision a scenario where I'd want to change the amount on multiple past transactions to a single amount, since most transactions older than very recent ones are reconciled. Future scheduled transactions can be edited to change the amount for all future instances. So what are examples where you'd want to batch change amount? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2022
    Options
    jacobs said:
    @RickO That Idea post was by the same user, posted 3 minutes after this post! ;)
    Funny! I guess I should look at who posted.

Good point about not being much of a use case for it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For whatever it's worth ...
    You should not pre-load your register with future dated real register transactions, just for planning purposes.
    That's what Scheduled Reminders are there for.
    And, if the amount of a reminder transaction changes because you just got a raise or your rent went up, all future reminder instances will automatically be updated.
    There also is the Budget view which will let you do Budget Planning to the end of the current year and, if necessary, future years, too.
  • Forensics5
    Forensics5 Member
    Options
    I do not like the scheduled reminders or budget view features for what I'm trying to accomplish. I like the way I do it. I was able to do this on in windows for years. Now that I'm on a Mac, I feel like Quicken is a lesser product.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Forensics5 Could you elaborate or give an example where a scheduled transaction is
    ineffective and you would instead want to batch change amounts? I’m just trying to understand situations where this would be useful. Thanks.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.