How do I find 10 years of missing downloads?

Options
Janet46
Janet46 Member ✭✭
All 14 years of downloaded transactions were in Quicken at my monthly update in early July. Today, when I tried to download, it would not work and suggested installing latest version. When I tried to do that, it said I had the latest - R42.21. Then I discovered the latest data in all our accounts was 2012. It was current when I last went in in July 2022 so it has to be somewhere. When I do restore files with Norton, the 10 years is still missing. Did allowing R42.21 in erase the data? If so, can I retrieve it somehow?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'm not sure why you would use Norton to restore a Quicken data file.  I don't think Norton can do that.
    Before proceeding, I suggest you backup your data file just in case something goes wrong.
    Then I suggest you look for the Quicken backup file that is dated just before updating to R42.21.  Quicken now automatically backs up the data file when it does a version update and it adds the version number of the version being updated to the backup file name.  It will look similar to how the version number (highlighted in yellow) is shown in this example...but it will have your previous version listed there.  The date of that backup will be listed right after the version that was backed up.:
    This backup file will be saved where you have your preferences set to save automatic backup files.  If you do not know where that is, you can get there by going to Edit > Preferences > Backup > Open.
    Double click on that backup file and it should prompt Quicken to restore that file. 
    Or inside Quicken you can go to File > Restore a Backup File > select the backup file referenced above > follow the prompts
    Let me know if this resolves the issue for you.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I'm not sure why you would use Norton to restore a Quicken data file.  I don't think Norton can do that.
    Before proceeding, I suggest you backup your data file just in case something goes wrong.
    Then I suggest you look for the Quicken backup file that is dated just before updating to R42.21.  Quicken now automatically backs up the data file when it does a version update and it adds the version number of the version being updated to the backup file name.  It will look similar to how the version number (highlighted in yellow) is shown in this example...but it will have your previous version listed there.  The date of that backup will be listed right after the version that was backed up.:
    This backup file will be saved where you have your preferences set to save automatic backup files.  If you do not know where that is, you can get there by going to Edit > Preferences > Backup > Open.
    Double click on that backup file and it should prompt Quicken to restore that file. 
    Or inside Quicken you can go to File > Restore a Backup File > select the backup file referenced above > follow the prompts
    Let me know if this resolves the issue for you.

• Janet46
    Janet46 Member ✭✭
    Options
    A gazillion thanks - looks logical. Will do tomorrow when am less tired and concerned and let you know.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Boatnmaniac said: I'm not sure why you would use Norton to restore a Quicken data file. 
    I don't think Norton can do that.
    Depending upon which type of Norton Backup is performed - it's either a disk image or a file-by-file....
    If image - nope - it's reading/writing disk sectors,
    but if File - then... it's just a normal file read & restore

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Janet46
    Janet46 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Dear Boatnmaniac and Ps56k2,
    Thank you very much for your help. Ignore the following as it will bore you. I am neither an IT nor Quicken expert, but want to describe an unusual problem (and a trial and error solution) in case someone else with my lack of expertise encounters it.

On 8/4/2022, I clicked on the Quicken icon on my desk top as I have early in every month since 2008. To my surprise, I was asked to log in. Did so and then tried to update all. Nothing happened except was asked if I wanted to install latest version, R42.21. Said yes, discovered later it was not installed, but realized there was no data after 2012.

Tried Boatmaniac's suggestions. Q response was "The backup directory has not been created yet. It will be created when the file is backed up automatically the first time." However, every month for 14 years my updates have been saved automatically on laptop drive and backup GoFlex. Long story short, digging around was reminded that in 2012, we had a catastrophic hard drive failure. Geek Squad was able to recover almost everything, including Quicken. That was apparently what opened when I clicked on the icon. I have no idea how that happened. But I knew the current files had to be there somewhere.

Wandered around Norton and Quicken for a couple hours and found many QDF files in Norton backup and in Q. Much overlap and some corrupted, apparently by attempt to install new version. Very fortunately, found a completely current QDATA-R-40.21.QDF from 7/22/22 in Norton Backup, figured out how to become Administrator and saved it as Q file. All back to normal with the addition of Dropbox backup. Don't give up - it's there somewhere.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    @Janet46 - Oh, my.  I'm certainly glad that you were able to maneuver your way through all of that to find that recent backup file...and that the recent backup resolved the issue for you (backups are a very good thing!).  I think there are many Quicken users who would have been absolutely lost and would have given up.  Good job!

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    glad you were able to get things back to a useable manner...
    Sometimes - the magic of others becomes a treasure hunt for ourselves.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.