How do I enable a Category?

Options
Dr. Slim
Dr. Slim Member
edited September 2022 in Registers & Transactions (Mac)
In the Categories list I see Investments > Unrealized Gain/Loss. How do I use this Category to update the value of one of my investments?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    The Investments categories in Quicken Mac are used for automated calculations; you can't use them manually. If you want to have Quicken report the change in the value of one of your investments, the first question would be whether Quicken has the correct number of shares of the security, and the correct current price. If yes, then you should look at when you acquired the shares in Quicken; does it reflect the correct price at that time? If the acquisition price is right, the number of shares is right, and the current price is right, then Quicken should correctly reflect the unrealized gain. Post back to report what's incorrect in Quicken.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Dr. Slim
    Dr. Slim Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I have an investment account that has four securities in it. I want to manually update the account value quarterly without needing to track four securities. Can you suggest a way to do this?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Are these securities publicly traded or not? If they are, the price per share should be updating automatically in Quicken. Go to Window > Securities, select the security, and open Price History to see if the price is being updated daily. IF not, you can manually enter a price on the last day of each month/quarter, so Quicken will know the current value and unrealized gain.

Are you wanting to avoid entering dividends and capital gains? (I enter these manually for my investments, on a quarterly basis for my mutual funds and ETFs; takes a little time, but I like reviewing what's happening with my funds when I do this.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.