Unable to add a new account in Quicken R42.21

Options
Patrick Kelly
Patrick Kelly Member ✭✭
Anyone else having trouble adding a new account in Quicken with a 123 Meg QFD File?
If I go to "tools" and select "Add Account" I get the windows hour glass for a little bit, Quicken looks like it might be trying to do something, but the Add New Account dialog box never comes up. I've tried validating my data file, super validating, fixing any corrupted transactions, reducing my number of securities below 199, deleting no longer needed accounts and re-validating, but I still can't get the "Add Account" dialog box to come up. I created a test.qdf file and tried adding a new account to that, and I get the "Add Account" dialog box to come up in my test.qdf file. I thought I saw some issue with people adding new accounts and them coming up hidden, and quicken working on a fix for that... I would love if a fix for that would fix my issue... I really don't want to rebuild my data file from scratch. :'(

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @""Patrick Kelly" ,

You are doing it wrong.

Open Quicken
    Under File, click Add New Quicken File.
    Dot New Quicken Account. Click OK.
    Now in the Bar type in the name of your Financial Institution.

Questions?

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Patrick Kelly
    Patrick Kelly Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you for the reply @thecreator ! I didn't know about the method you posted about adding a new account via the New Quicken file menu option. I did your method and selected "New Quicken Account" in the "New Quicken File" dialog box. When I clicked the "OK" button, the hour glass spins for a few seconds, but the Add New Account dialog box never comes up.

I have found that if I make a copy of my existing QDF file and only include transactions from the last 5 years in the QdataCpy.QDF file, that I am able to add a new account in the QdataCpy.QDF file. My regular Qdata.qdf file has transactions in it from 1996 and is about 137 Meg before I ran all the validates and repairs on it in an attempt to fix the issue. I really don't need data going back 26 years, So I've been thinking about just using the copy of data for the past 5 years. I was hoping the copy function would reduce the size of the QDF file more than just down to 112 Meg.

Thank you!
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @""Patrick Kelly" ,

This is the screen that should have came up:

I would use File Explorer and rename your Quicken Data File to something simple like Patrick.qdf.

Open Quicken.
    Under File, click Open Quicken File. Open your old Data File in Quicken.
    Under File, click Open Quicken File.
    Locate "QdataCpy.QDF" Highlight the File. Right-click on the Filename and click Properties.
    Next to the Red Q , you should see QdataCpy. Highlight the name and type in Patrick 2022. Now simply click OK

Now open Patrick 2022, by clicking on the Name.

You need to open a different Quicken Data File, because an open Quicken Data File, that you want to rename, you can't. Open Files, can't be renamed.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Patrick Kelly
    Patrick Kelly Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi @thecreator ,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes that is the dialog box I get in the trimmed down copy "QdataCpy.QDF" of my original datafile when I click the "Add Account" menu option.

I followed your steps for renaming the QDF files, and adding a new account works on Patrick 2022.QDF. But still no luck trying to add a new account in Patrick.qdf. I suspect my Patrick.qdf has some corruption that the validate routines don't detect or fix. I kinda wish there was a way to export the data out to a flat file, then import it back into a new database like you can with an Oracle DB to rebuild it, and reduce the DB size. :(

But I can live with using the trimmed down copy (last 5 years) of my original data file.

:)
    Pat

Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.