QWin US Mondo R43.14 is unsigned, triggering Microsoft Defender alerts

Options
RLRNC
RLRNC Member
Windows 10 Home, v10.0.19043

Latest Mondo patch found here:
https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/QW27.1.43.14MPatch.EXE

Execution results in popup: "Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk." The More Info button reveals "Publisher: Unknown publisher."

My prior Mondo patch is QW27.1.42.21 and is properly signed, so executes with an expected blue UAC popup asking if I want to allow SmartPatch.exe. This UAC popup includes "Verified publisher: Quicken Inc."

All of these Windows executables need to be signed with the Quicken Inc. company key. I've not installed 27.1.43.14 for this reason.

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You are correct, sir or ma'am.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Note this is why not only Microsoft Defender is having problems with it, other anti-virus software is also calling it out as a problem, even quarantine Quicken over it.

You would think this would be a simple fix.  Sign it and release it again, but instead it seems that Quicken Inc is fine with users having to jump through hoops to use it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • FrankYoung
    FrankYoung Member ✭✭
    Options
    Furthermore, when you have forgotten your Quicken password the system is designed to force use of a phone. The problem is that I do not have a working phone AND the promised ability to get the code via email is NOT available (even though it is promised in the support documentation). Plus, my searching for help is frustrated because all Quicken support is now closed. Not a good way to run a business!
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    Note this is why not only Microsoft Defender is having problems with it, other anti-virus software is also calling it out as a problem, even quarantine Quicken over it.

You would think this would be a simple fix.  Sign it and release it again, but instead it seems that Quicken Inc is fine with users having to jump through hoops to use it.
    The responsible thing is for Quicken to remove the R43.14 auto-update (and the Mondo patch) and replace it with the older one ASAP until they resolve it in the next one.  It is just possible that it has indirectly caused other side effects such as this one (not saying it has, rather just possible depending on their system and how their AV handled it).
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BK said:
    Chris_QPW said:

The responsible thing is for Quicken to remove the R43.14 auto-update (and the Mondo patch) and replace it with the older one ASAP until they resolve it in the next one.  It is just possible that it has indirectly caused other side effects such as this one (not saying it has, rather just possible depending on their system and how their AV handled it).
    There really isn't any reason for them to downgrade the update.  Windows Defender (and I'm guessing the other anti-virus software) is reacting to the installer program not being signed, not the actual Quicken program.  Signing an executable is nothing more than running a program to sign the existing executable, which just embeds some information into the the executable.

This should really be a 5 minute job to fix it, but instead they do nothing.  Downgrading would basically take almost the exact same amount of time.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    or that!
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

This discussion has been closed.