I like my Accounts & Categories to be listed in a specific order. Is that possible? Alphabetical now

Options
purpled
purpled Member
Can I change the order of my Accounts listing as a Mac user. What about Categories? There appears to be no drag & drop. Thanks!

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    For accounts, there is currently no way to reorder them in the left sidebar or drop-down menus. The developers have said they are working on allowing some customization of the sidebar, but what that will look like and when it may appear is unknown.

One technique some of us use is to attach a prefix, usually a numerical digit or two, to account names in order to control the order in which they appear. So you might have accounts named like this:
    1-Marriott Visa
    2-CapitalOne Visa
    3-TJX Mastercard
    4-AmEx

For Categories, I'm not sure what you mean about there being no drag-and-drop? If you're entering or editing a transaction, you can select from the drop-down category list, but it's usually fastest to type one or two letters of the category name to reduce the list of categories to something short. You could employ the same numerical prefix approach with category names as well (e.g. 100-Gas/Fuel, 200-Food & Dining, etc.) but I'm not sure this would make entry faster than typing the first few letters of the category name. It could be useful if you want to control the order of income and expense items in a report. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    For accounts, there is currently no way to reorder them in the left sidebar or drop-down menus. The developers have said they are working on allowing some customization of the sidebar, but what that will look like and when it may appear is unknown.

One technique some of us use is to attach a prefix, usually a numerical digit or two, to account names in order to control the order in which they appear. So you might have accounts named like this:
    1-Marriott Visa
    2-CapitalOne Visa
    3-TJX Mastercard
    4-AmEx

For Categories, I'm not sure what you mean about there being no drag-and-drop? If you're entering or editing a transaction, you can select from the drop-down category list, but it's usually fastest to type one or two letters of the category name to reduce the list of categories to something short. You could employ the same numerical prefix approach with category names as well (e.g. 100-Gas/Fuel, 200-Food & Dining, etc.) but I'm not sure this would make entry faster than typing the first few letters of the category name. It could be useful if you want to control the order of income and expense items in a report. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • purpled
    purpled Member
    Options
    Thanks jacobs! I hope the developers come through for us!
This discussion has been closed.