Offline use only

Options
I have read the previous post re offline use and have disabled the network adapter but Q still refuses to open the file without the Internet (I am away from home with no internet).

I am using Windows 7 on an old laptop.

I tried to contact Q via the chat but there is no response to pressing the contact button.

Is the promised offline use theoretical only or can this be done in the real world?

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The Phone and Chat buttons sometimes does not work when one has popup blockers turned on.  If you have not already done so you might want to check your popup blockers (both in the browser settings and any other browser add-ons with this feature) and disable them or whitelist Quicken.com.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The computer must be completely disconnected from any kind of network. WiFi must be disabled and the Ethernet cable must be unplugged. That should make Quicken start up "offline".
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Actually, I believe all Network Adapters need to be disabled.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    For what it is worth I do believe that one could access their data files with the network connections enabled, but it would take a very long time.

What happens is that Quicken tries to connect to its servers.  If the network connections are disabled it gets an immediate error and goes into offline mode.  But if they are enabled it won't know their isn't any Internet connection until the network times out.  Network timeouts are very long.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The Phone and Chat buttons sometimes does not work when one has popup blockers turned on.  If you have not already done so you might want to check your popup blockers (both in the browser settings and any other browser add-ons with this feature) and disable them or whitelist Quicken.com.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• shrubman
    shrubman Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for that - I changed browsers and got in the chat queue, but gave up after waiting 40 minutes. I will try the chat again today.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The computer must be completely disconnected from any kind of network. WiFi must be disabled and the Ethernet cable must be unplugged. That should make Quicken start up "offline".
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Actually, I believe all Network Adapters need to be disabled.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • shrubman
    shrubman Member ✭✭
    Options
    Many thanks - network adapters disabled and I could access my files :-)

Whilst Q's claim that you can access your files without the Internet (or if your subscription has expired, for example) is correct, they appear make it it as hard as possible!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    For what it is worth I do believe that one could access their data files with the network connections enabled, but it would take a very long time.

What happens is that Quicken tries to connect to its servers.  If the network connections are disabled it gets an immediate error and goes into offline mode.  But if they are enabled it won't know their isn't any Internet connection until the network times out.  Network timeouts are very long.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • shrubman
    shrubman Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification - I now know! As I suspected, if I were to not renew in the future, Q would be almost unusable. Good news for Q though!
This discussion has been closed.