Problem with cost basis of a money market fund

Options
Catherine Feddersen
Catherine Feddersen Member
edited October 2022 in Investing (Windows)
When I review my holdings, one of my money market funds reflects a HUGE discrepancy between cost and market for a particular lot. However, when I got to the register to potentially edit that particular lot, the cost and market value match. Never a problem in past, and I've been using QKN since 1991. I enter transactions manually.

Anyone else had this issue?

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Very intermittently. 

Despite the transaction looking OK, you likely should delete it and re-enter it from scratch.  That would be my path forward (with a good backup in hand, first). 
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HI @Catherine Feddersen

Since you are having this issue with a money market fund, presumably the cost and market value of the fund are both $1.00 per share - is that correct?  So there should never be a "HUGE discrepancy between cost and market" value.

Because this discrepancy relates to one "particular lot"  it sounds like you are having one of the following problems:

a) some how the price history for the lot has been corrupted - you could check this by reviewing the cost history for that holding to see if an incorrect price was inadvertently enterred; or

b) your datafile has been corrupted (by some unknown action/event) and you might want to perform a file validation and/or super validation to potentially correct that, or

c) you might want to see if you can find a backup datafile which is dated before this HUGE discrepancy was seen, and restore that datafile and move forward.

Let me know if you have any followup questions and/or how things work out.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Define " HUGE."  If it's on the order of 92 quadrillion then that's an indicator of data corruption.
This discussion has been closed.