US Savings Bond - how do I add and track in Quicken for Mac?

camfam
camfam Member ✭✭
I have read many different ways to add a US Savings Bond in Quicken for various versions but none for Mac. For example, most say to open the Securities List. There is no Securities List in the Mac version that I have (Version 6.9.0 (Build 609.45401.100).

I did figured out how to create an investment "Other" account, as there is no "Bond" in the list, and added shares of 1 @ $10k, but the value of the investment does not show in my Net Worth. I tried "Buy" but that shows as a -($10k) in my net worth.

I've done it for 2 $10k Series I bonds, but it just does not seem correct.

Can anyone point me to a step-by-step on how to properly add US Savings Bonds to Quicken for Mac?

Comments

• camfam
    camfam Member ✭✭
    WOW - I wish this were true!!! I added 10,000 shares @ $1 (bought an I series $10K bond) and Quicken for Mac shows Market Value as of 09/08/22 $100,000,000.00.

Clearly, I am doing something wrong.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    camfam said:
    Most say to open the Securities List. There is no Securities List in the Mac version that I have (Version 6.9.0 (Build 609.45401.100).
    Yes, there is: pull down the Window menu and select Securities. 

When you create a new Security, one of the options for Type is US Savings Bond:

Once you create an investment account for your bonds, you need to transfer money into the account (e.g. from a checking account) so the account has a positive cash balance, and then enter a Buy transaction to use the cash for "shares" of your bond security. 

Here's a link to a detailed post about how to track bonds in Quicken Mac:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20265410/#Comment_20265410

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.