How can I force an account to close?

Options
ftdatl
ftdatl Member ✭✭
I have an investment account that I'm trying to close. The holdings shows NO HOLDINGS, the cash balance is $0.00, and there are no placeholders. Everything is reconciled.

HOWEVER, when I try to close the account, Quicken refuses, and tells me, "This account has securities balances, please clear the securities before closing the account."

What securities? There are NONE in the account. How can I force it to let me close the account?

Especially since Quicken clearly has a bug, but even in general, such a message should be a warning and users should be allowed to close accounts. The actual account is closed, so keeping it open in Quicken is ridiculous.
Tagged:

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My advice even if you didn't have this problem would be to not close the account.
    Closing an account can't be undone, and doesn't do anything that you can't do manually (with the exception of that annoying icon put next to the account name).

The only things Quicken's close is trying to is the following:
    1. Zero cash and securities in some way.
    2. Deactivate downloading of transactions/bill pay.
    3. Remove any reminders that use that account.
    4. Set Account Details -> Display Options tab -> select "Hide in transaction entry lists"
    All of which are easily done by the user.  Note I also suggest selecting "Hide account name in account bar and account list".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.