Just started, but done with Quicken - can’t paste 20-char passwords

Options
James Lincoln
James Lincoln Member
edited October 2022 in Before you Buy
[Removed - Rant] can't use paste, what's to point when the download from the bank has 50% errors. I'd rather go back to filling things out in Excel, at least I know that is correct. I've worked on multi million hardware from IBM for a large part of my life and never experienced anything like this. [Removed - Rant]  I can understand security, that's why LastPass is what I use. [Removed - Speculation] they removed the ability to cut and paste, which is about the only way to get 20 character random passwords into systems nowdays. [Removed - Rant]

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you can limit yourself to using just 16 characters for a password, then you'd have one less problem to deal with. Quicken unfortunately is limited to 16 characters maximum password length. And there may still be a few banks left limiting the password to something less than 16 characters.
    Cut and paste should still work. Please tell us why you're saying that it doesn't.
    Bank downloads are working fine for me ... I must be doing something wrong ... :blush:   Again, please tell us what the specific problem is and someone will try to help you.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Here was the focus - and what I used to edit the topic title … 

I've worked on multi million hardware from IBM for a large part of my life and never experienced anything like this. [Removed - Rant]  I can understand security, that's why LastPass is what I use… 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think there is a misunderstanding here.  Quicken passwords aren't limited to 16 characters.
    I happen to use a 21 character password for the Password Vault, and I have tested up to 33 characters for both the Password Vault and the data file password, which works fine.

But when talking about passwords for the online accounts that is a different story.
    Quicken is feed information from the financial institution or from Intuit (which in turn gets the information from the financial institution) about what is a legal password both in length (not to short, not to long) and things like if it has to have special characters or not, and what ones are OK to use.

It is this information that is limiting what Quicken will allow for the online account passwords.
    It has certainly been reported that for some financial institutions the information provided doesn't line up with what the financial institution will allow, but that is different than a hard coded restriction by Quicken.

Personally I think Quicken shouldn't do this check.  Instead they should just let the user put in the password and get an error when they try to connect with an incorrect password.  The error messages for this do allow for that already.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    P.S. there is a hard limit of 32 characters for a password for connections to the financial institution imposed by the OFX protocol.  (That is why I tried 33 for the Quicken passwords like the Password Vault and data file password, just to see if it was limited there by the same rule.)
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    James Lincoln said:  I can understand security, that's why LastPass is what I use. ... they removed the ability to cut and paste, which is about the only way to get 20 character random passwords into systems nowdays.
    1 - Are you saying that One Step Update can't handle the "paste" of a password ?
    2 - Just out of curiosity, can you configure LASTPASS to generate passwords of a certain shorter length ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.