Securities Report with purchase date and cost

Caren
Caren Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
edited November 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I need a report of all securities held as of a certain date (in this case 12/31/2021) wtih the purchase date and cost. The only way to get this data seems to be to go into holdings and manually expand each section, then grab screen shots.
I had to create a new Quicken file for 2022 as my file was too big and having issued. On advice of Quicken, used the copy function with just 2022 dates and all boxes unchecked. Unfortunately it did not bring over any of the investment holdings, just the 2022 transactions so I have to go to the old file, gather the information, and manually enter into the new file. Hours of work that could be somewhat easier if I could get a decent report. Very frustrated.

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    "I need a report of all securities held as of a certain date (in this case 12/31/2021) wtih the purchase date and cost."
    Go to the Portfolio View.  Optionally, you can customize this view to only include the Account(s) where you need this information.  Set the date to 12/31/2021, then click the plus sign (+) to the left of each security's name where you want the detail of purchase date and cost.  Do {Ctrl}-P and select "Export to" and "tab delimited", then click on "Export."  Give the resulting file a name.  That file can then be opened in Excel for further manipulation.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you got bad advice. I would go back to the original pre-copy version of your file (hopefully you saved a copy or have a backup from that time) and re-do the copy with all the boxes checked. Even with a date specified, your investment transactions will be preserved.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Caren
    If I leave the boxes checked the file barely shrinks and I end up not much better off than I was before. I don't want the investment transactions back to 2014, I just want the purchase prices.
  • Tom Young
    Answer ✓
    "I need a report of all securities held as of a certain date (in this case 12/31/2021) wtih the purchase date and cost."
    Go to the Portfolio View.  Optionally, you can customize this view to only include the Account(s) where you need this information.  Set the date to 12/31/2021, then click the plus sign (+) to the left of each security's name where you want the detail of purchase date and cost.  Do {Ctrl}-P and select "Export to" and "tab delimited", then click on "Export."  Give the resulting file a name.  That file can then be opened in Excel for further manipulation.
  • Caren
    Will give that a try. Now if only there was a way to import it into Quicken new file I would be ecstatic.
  • Caren
    Tom Young, your comment was very helpful. Tech support didn't know this trick. For some reason a few securities seem to have been omitted, but it was much better than any other way. Thank you.
  • Tom Young
    "For some reason a few securities seem to have been omitted..."
    Are you saying that in Portfolio View you could see the security detail but that didn't come through for some securities on the export?  Or, are you saying that in Portfolio View there were some securities that should have been listed, but weren't?
    If it's the latter then select the "Options" (gearwheel) in the upper right hand corner, select "Customize current view..." and click on the "Securities" tab.  That's where you can add missing securities.
  • Caren
    At this point I am not sure which it was. It may have been my error. I managed to get all the information and the accounts are updated and correct. Really appreciate your help.
This discussion has been closed.