Split stocks in quicken

Options
kalpathy17
kalpathy17 Member
edited October 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I had 2 stoks purched I April 10 of each. The socks got split in June and july and it was added 190 shares for 10 stocks I had.Now when I enter this in quicken as split stock as per quicken instructions and after going to the portfolio share balance is 190 instead of 200.can any body help me

Comments

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That sounds right.  Which stocks split?  If you got 190 shares you don't add in the original 10 shares.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think you are saying to us:
    1. In April you purchased ten shares of two different stocks
    2. In June one of the stocks split 20 for 1
    3. In July the other stock split 20 for 1
    Please confirm that the above is correct.

Assuming the above is correct then my suggestion to properly record this history would be as follows:
    1. DELETE downloaded transactions provided by the broker(s) regarding these splits.  Brokers are not accountants and while they strive to get your share balances correct it's not uncommon that they send inappropriate accounting transactions into your Quicken Accounts.
    2. Use the "Stock Split" action to enter the stock splits, using the appropriate dates for each one of the splits.  The transactions should be entered along these lines
    and will end up in the Account(s) transaction list looking like this:
    Using the Stock Split action will result in the correct number of shares and the basis for each share will be correct.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I had 2 stoks purched I April 10 of each. The socks got split in June and july and it was added 190 shares for 10 stocks I had.
    I have no idea what you are saying .. 
    Did you have two stocks,
     with 10 shares bought of each ? 
    And then, each split - what was the ratio ? 
    … what are the two stock symbols ? 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.