IRA Cash Amt Different in Portfolio Display vs. Transaction Listing

Options
WSC
WSC Member ✭✭✭
edited November 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I have an IRA account that shows the correct amount of cash in the transaction listing which agrees with what my brokerage house reports. The cash figure in the Quicken portfolio display is about $80 shy of the correct number, and I can’t figure out why.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Quicken Premier
Windows 10

Comments

• WSC
    WSC Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Any ideas?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is the cash also wrong when you click on the account's Holdings button?

If so, I suggest you change the As of date in the Holdings view back in time until the cash amount agrees with the amount in the transaction list and find the date where they first disagree. Back up your data, then fix or delete and re-enter any transaction on that date.

You might also try doing a File > Validate and Repair to see if that fixes it.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • WSC
    WSC Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    At the bottom of the account status screen is the correct value. At the top of the same screen, the cash is the smaller, incorrect number.
  • WSC
    WSC Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Changing the Holdings view date doesn't change the date at the bottom of the said screen (the Account Status screen).
  • WSC
    WSC Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Finally, any cash adjustments I make affect both balances. I can't just change the portfolio display value w/o changing the "Cash balance" transaction figure.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    WSC said:
    Changing the Holdings view date doesn't change the date at the bottom of the said screen (the Account Status screen).

Changing the As of date in the Holdings view only affects the Holdings section of the Account Overview, which is what is displayed when you click on Holdings.

You should be comparing the Cash at the bottom of the Holdings section to the entry in the Cash Bal column of the Transaction list for the corresponding date. Are these the same?

Did you try the Validate and Repair I recommended?

• WSC
    WSC Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    The cash at the bottom of the Holdings section is the same as the cash in the portfolio display which is not the same as the amount in the cash balance column of the Transaction Listing. Again, the cash balance column is the correct amount.

I have not tried to validate and repair. I have been a long-time user of Quicken and this can be a risky move, at least in the past. Do I need to do more than just validate the file? (Rebuild lots and correct price history too?)

Thanks again.
  • WSC
    WSC Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I ran the validate, include rebuilding the lots. Small errors found but not significant according to the repair text report.

Not sure what this means: “Number of old style Buy/Cash/Transfer investment transactions updated: 15/0/0”.

And, a puzzling message about the IRA account in question, “Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account "IRA", security "ABC", on 2/24/2014 that might be missing”. There was no entry for that date for ABC and stock ABC wasn’t bought until 2018. Not sure what to make of this.

Thanks.
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    OK, let's ignore the validation messages for now.

Change the As of date to find when the Holdings cash balance and the Cash bal column first disagree. Backup your data, then correct or delete and re-enter any transaction on that date to see if that fixes your issue.
  • WSC
    WSC Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I apologize for the long delay. I was out of town.

Following your advice, it appears that there are a couple of dozen transactions that went on about 10 years ago that total to the “delta” between the two figures I now see and have carried forward to today. They span about three months in 2012. I didn’t display the cash in my portfolio so I never noticed it was different than the transaction listing. None are wrong. Some are dividends, some are interest, one is cash adjustment.

The cash balance at the bottom of the display for today is $461. The box to “Update cash balance” displays the other figure, $380. No changes I can make will result in the values being the same. It just seems odd that this exists. Any other suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.