Base Security????

Options
Glen Raggio
Glen Raggio Member ✭✭✭
edited November 2022 in Investing (Windows)
While in the Edit Security Detail window, if the security is a stock then additional information is requested.  This is not true for a CD, mutual fund or other investments.  Never before had I noticed that an for an option the security detail would request a base security.  What is this and how does this information could be used???   I could guess but I will let others provided a more definitive answer.  Thanks.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AFAIK, this has to do with Restricted Stock Units and/or Employer Stock Options. Base Security is the name of the underlying real company stock. See this description for more details and an example: https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/About+restricted+stock+units
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was going to guess differently, that this was for exchange-traded options.

Quicken seems to have finally added code to differentiate between exchange-traded options and employee stock options.

In exchange-traded options, each put or call has a base security, probably more often called the underlying. I don't currently trade options, so I can't see the fullness of the feature. But maybe an active options trader will chime in.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Glen Raggio
    Glen Raggio Member ✭✭✭
    Options
     I needed some assistance to post the image.  I was referring to Call Options.  Would the BASE SECURITY identification be of use to anyone, in perhaps, reports such as Investment Trxns, Activity or Performance by Security, etc.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Your base security would be ABBV. We don't know what this new feature does yet, why not try it and see whether it does anything useful.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Glen Raggio
    Glen Raggio Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Having declared the base security, I thought that by having reference the stock position it would figure into ROI, IRR and any other calculated investment information.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken has added a new security type of "Option" which is presumably for exchange traded options. As noted above, you can specify the "Base security" for this security type. According to the Release Notes for R44.20, the Investment Performance Report (IPR) can now summarize by "Option group"

I think what all this means is that if you hold exchange traded options and you have specified the Option security type and the correct underlying or base security for them,  the IPR can now subtotal the performance for all of your options with that base security.

Perhaps someone who holds exchange traded options can confirm this.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.