High, low & volume zero every other day

Options
EvDob
EvDob Member ✭✭
edited November 2022 in Investing (Windows)
This bug is affecting multiple ETFs such as VTIP & VXUS, but not VTI. Price History shows zeroes for high, low & volume every other day. Seems to have been reported but never fixed:
https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7909015/erroneous-price-data-for-qyld-and-ryld
Tagged:

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That sounds like some days you aren’t getting quotes from Quicken’s third party quote service.
    It is. The third party quote service that provides all this information, whereas the information from you broker download only supplies the price, and as such when you only get a price from them, that is all the information you will get.  For instance it is normal to only get the price information from your broker download when they securities aren’t known to the third party service.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • EvDob
    EvDob Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, Chris. It still looks like something Quicken needs to fix with the quote service because it happens exactly every other day, and I do download quotes every business day.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree, it is something that Quicken Inc needs to get fixed whether it is with Quicken itself (I doubt) or their third-party quote service.
    Signature:
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Do you download them at the same time every day?  Have you tried again later in the day?

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the problem lies with their third-party service.  

In my test file I added the three securities to my list as Watch list entries just this morning (Sunday AM).  The VTI data was complete.  The VXUS and VTIP was incomplete.  Specifically as the OP noted, the Hi/Lo/Vol was 0 for Tuesday and Thursday; filled in for Mon, Wed, and Fri.  Going back further, the only price data for those two securities were in that alternate pattern and included both closing and Hi/Lo/Volume data  That pattern was MWF one week, and Tue/Thurs the other weeks.  Going back more that thirty days, the data was only for the alternate Fridays rather than every Friday. 

Something is amiss with the data supply.

• EvDob
    EvDob Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @volvogirl said:
    > Do you download them at the same time every day?  Have you tried again later in the day?

Multiple times a day :smile:
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EvDob said:
    > @volvogirl said:
    > Do you download them at the same time every day?  Have you tried again later in the day?

Multiple times a day
    If you can, try downloading only once a day, well after 5 PM ET, and see if that breaks the pattern.
    Please do note that downloading historical prices to fill out your price history is limited to daily prices of the selected securities for the most recent month, weekly prices for the 11 months prior to that, and monthly prices thereafter.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @UKR given that it has already been proven by @q_lurker that the historical quotes are wrong, I think that pretty much conclusively proves that the data is wrong at the source (the third-party quote service) and has nothing to do with when someone downloads it.
    Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's a real (if naive) question: why would anyone care about high/low/volume on a daily basis for Quicken purposes? Those stats don't affect anyone's finances.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here's a real (if naive) question: why would anyone care about high/low/volume on a daily basis for Quicken purposes? Those stats don't affect anyone's finances.
    A very valid question on its own. Quicken is definitely lacking in data to support in-depth technical analysis where hi/lo/vol might be included. Better tools are available through brokerage sites, I am sure. 

So I was answering from the position that Quicken does provide that data for most such securities. These should not be any different as far as I know. Further, my test backfilling 30 days of prices still only provided any data on the alternate day pattern. Does one really need a closing price every day to make decisions? Not really.  But it should still be provided. 
  • EvDob
    EvDob Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes, it's not that important to me except for the realization that the data can't be fully trusted. A worse problem is here:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7920673/fidelity-funds-bad-prices-in-certain-time-window
This discussion has been closed.