Charge/Payment backwards on credit card

Options
I did a search and a lot of people have asked this question and gotten the same dumb answer. For a credit card, it has always been that if you charge something, your credit balance increases. Once you add an amount in the payment column, it decreases back to zero.

In fact, 3 of my credit card accounts are still working that way, but two are reversed! Two are increasing the balance with a payment, and decreasing with a charge, while 3 are increasing the balance with a charge and decreasing with a payment.

So don't tell me that I must be overdrawn or tell me if it should be black or red or some silly thing like that. Why did some of my accounts change the way they count a charge or payment?

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I'd suggest disclosing the names of the financial institutions and the downloading method used for each of the 5 credit card Accounts. 
    Can you see any difference at all between the postings in the 3 properly working Accounts and the 2 that aren't working properly, or are they exactly the same? 
    It seems unlikely that a program would enter a positive, black number in the "Charge" column and increase the negative red number in the "Balance" column, (a correct entry), in one Account, and then in a different Account enter a positive, black number in the "Charge" column and decrease the negative red number in the "Balance" column, (an incorrect entry).  But that's exactly what you're seeing?
    Maybe post a picture?
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am going to take a stab in the dark, because, you are right, it doesn't make sense.  For the two accounts that are 'backwards'. what kind of account are they designated as? 

tools>account list>edit> and then look in the 'display options' and then 'account intent'

is it set as a 'credit card' or 'liability' account - 

let's start there....
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ok I won't give you my standard answer which you probably saw.  But did you see this Quicken link…..

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.