Prompt Appears Requesting Bank of America Reauthorization, Results in downloading duplicate data

Options
Dave508
Dave508 Member ✭✭
Quicken Premier R44.23 Build 27.1.44.23

I was prompted to "Reauthorize" Bank of America Accounts. It had me sign in and click on "Share" to reauthorize Quicken access. After clicking share and submit, quicken showed "Link to Existing" for each Bank of America account. I proceeded with that which resulted in the download of thousands of days of data and a completely destroyed account (balances, etc. way off due to duplicate data downloaded). After restoring to the previous day and updating again, I was prompted again to reauthorize.

This process isn't working. I've tried "Ignore (do not add)" and it does the same thing. Does anyone have a solution or suggestion to get around this problem?

Note to Quicken folks: I've been a loyal customer for a very long time (since DOS), but this problem along with the Chase not updating problem is starting to affect my desire to remain a customer. It's irritating at a minimum and impacts my ability to manage my accounts effectively. What has changed at Quicken and why is Quicken not addressing these problems and issues quickly? This Chase problem has been going on for more than a couple of weeks.

Comments

• svanderploeg
    svanderploeg Member ✭✭
    Options
    I am also a long-time Quicken user and depend on it daily. I concur that it is very disappointing that Quicken is not stepping up to fix these issues.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Dave508 said:
    Quicken Premier R44.23 Build 27.1.44.23

I was prompted to "Reauthorize" Bank of America Accounts. It had me sign in and click on "Share" to reauthorize Quicken access. After clicking share and submit, quicken showed "Link to Existing" for each Bank of America account. I proceeded with that which resulted in the download of thousands of days of data and a completely destroyed account (balances, etc. way off due to duplicate data downloaded). After restoring to the previous day and updating again, I was prompted again to reauthorize.

This process isn't working. I've tried "Ignore (do not add)" and it does the same thing. Does anyone have a solution or suggestion to get around this problem?

Note to Quicken folks: I've been a loyal customer for a very long time (since DOS), but this problem along with the Chase not updating problem is starting to affect my desire to remain a customer. It's irritating at a minimum and impacts my ability to manage my accounts effectively. What has changed at Quicken and why is Quicken not addressing these problems and issues quickly? This Chase problem has been going on for more than a couple of weeks.
    Hello @Dave508,       

I am sorry to hear about this issue with duplicated transactions. Thank you for reaching out about this here on the Quicken Community.

Note that there is currently an Open Alert regarding Bank of America - among other banking institutions - in association with duplicate data issues that may be related to this situation. You can follow the link here for additional information, or any future updates. You had mentioned that your accounts are receiving additional transactions even when you select Ignore (Do Not Add); if you have the chance, could you tell us where your current active data file is located? You can check this anytime by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer

I look forward to hearing back from you about this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • GSW
    GSW Member ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken Jared, Thanks for trying to help. My Status: I haven't yet made the conversion from Direct Connect. I won't do it until my confidence increases that my 30,000+ transactions won't have issues or duplications. Question: Why does the current data file location matter? I have mine in a custom location rather than having it within the "Quicken" folder so now I want to know if that is an issue or not.
  • GSW
    GSW Member ✭✭
    Options
    Well, apparently today is the last day (my memory said next week but I was wrong I guess) for EWC+ conversion. Quicken/BofA require the conversion to EWC+ today. So, I backed up my data and took the plunge.

Post conversion it looks like 4 of my 7 accounts have wrong balances now. I can see that my 30,000 or so transaction count in my checking account is less now. Not by a lot, its perhaps 15 transactions but it has skewed the balance. And at least one credit card balance is wrong too. I can easily make an adjustment to the balances ... for the first time ever in my data. But, losing whatever transactions that are involved are the disturbing part.

Seems that thorough and proper testing wasn't conducted before deploying to the user community.

I've lost some faith in Quicken with this event. I may not renew in November. It's a shame since I've been using Quicken since 1994.
  • Dave508
    Dave508 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Quicken Jared,

The file is located here:

C:\Users\dhite\Documents\Quicken
  • FabioR
    FabioR Member
    Options
    Ji @Quicken Jared, I'm also a loyal customer since WOW at least Year 2000, also30,000+ transactions and now this duplicate transaction problem with Bank of America! what a shame! no solution and not even a clear instruction on how to identify duplicate transactions! Really thinking about not renewing Quicken anymore! my Balanced checking account is now a total mess!!! I have had it balanced for 20+ years!!!
  • Dave508
    Dave508 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Ok folks, here's what I HAD to do to get BoA working (whether it stays working who knows), but anyway:

1. Quicken would not accept my BoA password. I had to change my password on the BoA website, LEAVING OUT any special characters (#^><,etc.) I used NO special characters in the new password.
    2. In Quicken password vault, I changed my BoA password to match the new password on BoA website
    3. Did an update in Quicken for BoA - it errored out needing "Reauthorization"
    4. Clicked on Reauthorize, went through the process of signing in and reauthorizing BoA to Share Data
    5. Back in Quicken the "Add Accounts" window was up with "Link to existing" for my BoA account
    6. I clicked on Continue (Or next, or whatever it's called on the bottom right of the window)
    7. Quicken went through and eventually came back with:
    "Downloaded and categorized transactions from the last 5959 days."
    8. My balance in the BoA account in the Quicken register was WAY off.
    9. I went to the top of the register and found an "opening balance" that was incorrect.
    10. I deleted the "opening balance" transaction. That put the balance nearly correct.
    11. I entered a "Balance Adjustment" transaction to adjust the balance to match BoA. (All of my transactions had cleared; take note of that if you do this procedure)
    12. Did another Quicken update for BoA, it worked correctly (no errors, etc.)

Take aways:
    1. Quicken will (evidently) no longer accept special characters in BoA passwords
    2. Quicken incorrectly inserts an incorrect beginning balance during the reauthorization process

The folks at quicken must do a better job at communicating and working these issues to resolve them expeditiously or long-time loyal customers like me will leave.

[Removed - Solicitation]
  • cjim
    cjim Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Dave508 - Are you saying that Quicken only changed the opening balance of your account and did not actually download 5959 duplicate transactions?
  • Dave508
    Dave508 Member ✭✭
    Options
    @cjim Yes, as it turned out, the transaction count was the same before and after (+1 for that bogus starting balance). Since it said it downloaded 5959 transactions and the balance was way off, I incorrectly assumed it downloaded a bunch of duplicates. After investigating further though, I accidentally happened on the bogus "starting balance", removed it, and my ending balance was almost right. I entered a balance adjustment to make it accurate. Now daily updates are happening as before. I hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.