There is an unfixed bug - value for accrued interest in new bond purchase does not save.

Options
JMB in Denver
JMB in Denver Member ✭✭
I've reported this bug several times over the last year. No fix yet for what appears to be a simple glitch that forces me to have to manually enter a separate transaction to account for accrued interest when entering a municipal bond purchase. Am re-thinking my commitment to this subscription service for ignoring multiple bug reports.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    @JMB in Denver
    A few last thoughts since yours is a 2015 machine.... are you at least running Big Sur if not newer?
    And your version of Quicken Mac is 6.10.2?
    And... when you right click the brokerage account and then Account Settings...  The account type is "Brokerage" and your Investment Tracking Method is set to "Detailed"?

The Quicken support article on uninstalling seems to just say to drag the app to the trash.  Presumably that means it runs an uninstall script when the trash is emptied, but who knows.  After deleting the app, check to see if these things still exist on your machine:

~/Library/Preferences/com.quicken.Quicken.plist
    ~/Library/WebKit/com.quicken.Quicken
    ~/Library/HTTPStorages/com.quicken.Quicken

If you're not sure how to see your personal Library folder ... hold the Option key down when you go to the Finder's Go menu and it'll appear in the menu then.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    Options
    I cannot reproduce this bug.  I just created a "Buy Bond" transaction and after entering the info for the bond (changing Type to "Bond" etc in the New Security dialog) and saving the transaction, QMac created BOTH a Buy Bond for the face amount AND automatically created a Miscellaneous Expense transaction for the accrued interest under Investments:Accrued Interest...

I tried all kinds of combinations of maturities, call dates, etc etc and was unable to reproduce your bug - QMac always creates the accrued interest transaction for me.

Maybe you can provide screenshots of each step in the process which fails for you, creating a fake bond as I just did and then deleting it afterwards?

• JMB in Denver
    JMB in Denver Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you MontanaKarl for trying to reproduce the bug I have been experiencing. I could send you screenshots of each step but can also describe it quite easily. When filling in all the number fields for a new bond purchase, including the value for accrued interest, I hit the save button and the bond purchase is entered into the register with a different total cost. I click on the newly entered bond and find the accrued interest field is blank. I can then try to edit the transaction by again entering the value for accrued interest and again that sum is not saved. Is there a setting I perhaps are unaware of that needs to be enabled for the accrued interest to save with the new bond purchase?
  • MontanaKarl
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Something is wrong with your installation from your description.   I just repeated - and will post screenshots here - by entering a Buy Bond for a new bond ... clicking Save brings up the dialog to describe the bond.  After that sequence, the buy bond and the misc expense for the accrued interest are entered.
    Repeating with another buy of the same bond - I do not get the new security dialog - and clicking save creates both transactions.

So... I think you need to uninstall Quicken, clean all Quicken preferences, and re-install since the product is not doing what it does for me (and is supposed to do)... unless something else is going on...

Clicking Save gives me:

Which needs to be changed, since this is not a Stock... so for testing, here's how I populated the New Security for this fake bond:

In my previous tests, I left the maturity/call dates alone (=today which is dumb), and left the coupon and YTM blank ... same result:  clicking Save here results in TWO transactions being entered into my investment register.... the buy, and the accrued interest.

• JMB in Denver
    JMB in Denver Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you again. I will reinstall the Quicken for Mac app and hope glitch resolves.
  • JMB in Denver
    Options
    Greetings again MontanaKarl - the glitch persists after I re-installed Quicken for Mac. Just for grins if you don't mind - could you try again on your end to enter a new bond purchase this time choosing a tax-free municipal bond* (check box) and see if the value for accrued interest posts to your register. I still find that after populating all the boxes and saving, the accrued interest value does not save requiring a separate manual transaction to be created. Do you know how I can report this specific glitch again to Quicken Support in the hopes they will look at it and fix it?
  • MontanaKarl
    Options
    @JMB in Denver Same result with a tax exempt bond.

If all you did was re-install Quicken, that will not resolve the issue.  You need to delete every trace of the produce on your Mac - preference files, etc. - before re-installing.  If the bug still appears, you'll have to contact Quicken Support who will have to do a screen-sharing to see the bug reproduced since as far as I can tell, you might be the only person experiencing this.  I don't envy you that process.

The only other thought I have for this strange behavior on your end is if your Mac is not an Intel Mac?  Do you have a newer ARM - M1 or M2 Mac?

Here's what I entered this time... and still got the two transactions.

• JMB in Denver
    Options
    Thanks again MK. My Mac is a 2015 Intel MacBookPro. The only other difference in the way I inputted a new muni bond purchase is the box for use downloaded asset class info was checked (by default on my Quicken app). Not sure this should make a difference. I will search out the preferences file for Quicken to delete it as well. Any other files I should delete prior to reinstalling?
  • MontanaKarl
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    @JMB in Denver
    A few last thoughts since yours is a 2015 machine.... are you at least running Big Sur if not newer?
    And your version of Quicken Mac is 6.10.2?
    And... when you right click the brokerage account and then Account Settings...  The account type is "Brokerage" and your Investment Tracking Method is set to "Detailed"?

The Quicken support article on uninstalling seems to just say to drag the app to the trash.  Presumably that means it runs an uninstall script when the trash is emptied, but who knows.  After deleting the app, check to see if these things still exist on your machine:

If you're not sure how to see your personal Library folder ... hold the Option key down when you go to the Finder's Go menu and it'll appear in the menu then.

• JMB in Denver
    Options
    Many thanks MK. You have been more than helpful - I really appreciate it.

JMB
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    The Quicken support article on uninstalling seems to just say to drag the app to the trash.  Presumably that means it runs an uninstall script when the trash is emptied, but who knows. 
    There is no uninstaller for Quicken Mac to the best of my knowledge.

After deleting the app, check to see if these things still exist on your machine:

~/Library/Application Support/Quicken
    It the second one on this list  the Quicken preferences file — that is likely the key to flush out. You can simply move it to your desktop and then relaunch Quicken; Quicken will generate a new preferences file. If it doesn't fix the problem, you can restore the original file to the Preference folder.

And a word of caution about the first item on this list: ~/Library/Application Support/Quicken is where Quicken by default stores data files and backups of data files. So don't delete this folder without being very clear about what you're doing, or you can end up deleting your data and backups! You likely do not want to remove this folder unless you know you've moved the location for your data file(s) and backup folder elsewhere. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • JMB in Denver
    Options
    Thank you Jacobs. I was aware that Application Support folder contained the data backups. Very good advice.
  • MontanaKarl
    Options
    Thanks @jacobs
    I forgot about the App Support folder containing data files/backups by default (which I really hate as a default choice but nobody asked me)... I deleted that from my original post.

This discussion has been closed.