EWC+ removing account routing/account number from Account Details?

Options
M$D
M$D Member ✭✭
[Insert mandatory paragraph here about 20 year Quicken user finding more, and more, and more things broken or not useful in current Quicken]

For 20+ years I referenced Account/Routing numbers from [BOA] Account Details. Now the EWC+ General tab has replaced and obfuscated those numbers. In fact, the routing number is now only 4 digits. I have only certain devices with strong 2FA permitted to access accounts. Why should I need to leave Quicken to find such basic information?

Why the unnecessary changes? Sigh ...

From Help:
Is there anything I can't change from this window?
You can't edit the Financial Institution (name) field for any account that is
activated for online services.

You can't edit the Routing Number, or Customer ID fields for an account that is activated for online services using Express Web Connect.

If you need to make changes to any of these fields, first deactivate online services, make changes, and then reactivate online services.

Comments

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ask BoA since it was their decision to move to EWC+.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I’m not sure changing how account numbers and routing numbers are displayed in Account Details would have been specified by BofA. That sounds more like how Quicken decided to integrate EWC+ within Quicken screens. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For offline Checking accounts, Account Number and Routing Number may be interesting to have, but not required.
    Once the account has been activated for transaction downloading, the bank decides what information to store in these fields. Together with the Customer ID, these three fields are used to link your account register to the bank account so that downloaded transactions end up in the correct register.
    While the account is activated, these fields should be grayed out and not editable. If you do manage to make changes to these fields, expect download errors like CC-506 or other problems.
  • fanfare
    fanfare Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    Put your routing number and account number in the Comments field, if you tend to forget them.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mshiggins said:
    I’m not sure changing how account numbers and routing numbers are displayed in Account Details would have been specified by BofA. That sounds more like how Quicken decided to integrate EWC+ within Quicken screens. 

This may or may not be a Bank of America decision.
    Let's take the example of one I'm sure of Direct Connect/Web Connect in other words the OFX protocol.
    The protocol tells what fields are what, but it is up to the financial institution to what values they will put in those fields.  So, you might get one financial institution that puts in the full account number and another that puts in something like:  XXXXX3233.  And that will flow into Quicken in the Account Details.
    And one should understand why Quicken is even getting this information.  One might think it is for the user, but the main purpose is for Quicken to match that information to an account in Quicken.  That is why you can't change it.  And for Quicken the only real requirement for this information is that between the account number, username and such that it is unique and doesn't change.

It is sort of a "side effect" that some users find the information useful.

Now for the switch over to Express Web Connect + and how it can get "foggy" of who changed what.
    The FDX protocol that is being used between Intuit (Quicken Inc's aggregator) and the financial institution will definitely have the same fields that Quicken is using for all the other connection types.  And it is the financial institution's server software that is deciding what to put in those fields.  And note it isn't the same software that was running for Direct Connect, so it certainly could be changed. In fact, Chase is now actually putting XXXX in payee names replacing some account numbers for some strange reason.  So, you can't assume that the financial institution is putting the exact same information into the Express Web Connect + flow as they did for Direct Connect.

Now clearly, there have been a lot of work done in Quicken (the program) and certainly at Intuit and maybe even in Quicken Inc's servers, so they could be changing things in this process, but my bet would certainly be on the financial institution changing things.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.