Transactions are not being auto-categorized

Options
JuanE
JuanE Member ✭✭
I have transactions which I have memorized and renamed and selected a category. When I download my transactions a frequently have recuring transactions which do not get auto categorized, many do but not all.

Any ideas as to why, I have the right selections in my preferences.
Tagged:

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I think Quicken changed how its built-in renaming and categorization works not long ago, so if you have been relying on that rather than your own renaming rules, you may see different results than in the past. See this Support article
    https://www.quicken.com/support/unrecognized-payee-names-downloaded-transactions

Make sure the Payee name after renaming matches the name in your Memorized Payee List (MPL). "Stop and Shop" is different from "Stop & Shop" or "Stop&Shop". If a Payee name was changed by one of your renaming rules, it will have "quotes" around it in the Downloaded Transactions area. If you hover over the name, you can see what the original name was. You can see all the original names by enabling the Downloaded Payee Name column in your register. 

In the MPL, make sure the Never Auto-categorize box is not checked for the Payee.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Today I noticed some changes in downloads from a Bank of America credit card. Many Payee names that previously downloaded as ALL CAPS are now being cleaned up and download with Mixed Case. Also Quicken appears to be auto-categorizing more payees then previously. This is probably due to the recent change in the BoA connection from Direct Connect to EWC+.

For example, a payee that previously downloaded as WHEELS#47CITGO now downloads as Wheels and auto-categorizes as Groceries. 

To correct this to match the Category I have been using, I added a Memorized Payee for Wheels that sets the Category to Auto:Fuel.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.