Changing Method/Check

sgoldberg124
sgoldberg124 Member ✭✭
When entering transactions into the check register from scheduled bills to be paid, the field for Method/Check is sometimes blank, sometimes has a check number. How can I change this field to default to "Online"? Or remove the check number so the field is blank? I don't see where to set this field.

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you manually entering these transactions directly into the register or do you have Bill Reminders set up and are manually entering them?
    If you are talking about Bill Reminders, edit them to see what you might have entered into that field.  Edit it if it shows something other than what you want to see when you enter it into the register.
    If you are manually entering these transactions directly into the register:  It sounds like Quicken might be recalling what was entered there from previous transactions for that particular Payee.  You might want to go to Edit > Preferences > Data entry and QuickFill > uncheck  the box for Complete Fields Using Previous Entries and see if that resolves the issue for you.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• sgoldberg124
    sgoldberg124 Member ✭✭
    Boatnmaniac,
    Thanks for replying. I am using the Bill Reminders. I have edited / looked at those entries. I see nothing that references that field. That was the first place I looked.

I also went into the Preferences and un-checked the "Complete fields..". that didn't seem to change that field when I tried to post. The first post I made was to blank out that field. The second try it still showed the original value.

Steve
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit the reminder in question, "this and all future instances", and look under the Optional Settings for the reminder for checkboxes with "Print check with Quicken" or "Allow paying with Check Pay" or similar.
    Are you really still using Online Bill Pay from Quicken directly to your bank? Or did your bank require you to reauthorize your accounts recently and, along the way, turned off Online Bill Pay / Quick Pay? If that's the case, you need to use an alternative payment method.
  • sgoldberg124
    sgoldberg124 Member ✭✭
    I am not using Quicken to pay bills. I go to my bank website, and pay bills from my checking account. Then I go into Quicken to record those transactions that are scheduled in the Bill Reminders section.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The word "Online", when used in the Check# column of a register may have a special meaning and should not be used in that case. I suggest you use EFT.
    To add words to this list, go into a checking account register and click to select a Check# field. This pops up a selection list with an "Edit List" button where you can add your own choices.
  • sgoldberg124
    sgoldberg124 Member ✭✭
    Thanks UKR.
    But is there a way to make the Method/Check always have, in your case, EFT as the default? So I don't have to enter something every time. And on one "Reminder" transaction to remove the "hardcoded" check number that is in there?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, I'm not aware of making a certain text, like EFT, the default for every transaction in a Scheduled Reminder.
    In editing a reminder "and all its instances", there's not a direct way to put a certain text into the Check# field. Whatever Quicken puts into this field when creating a register transaction is outside of our control, except when using the "print a check" option.
    I'm guessing, but if you created this reminder from an existing register transaction, if there's something like "3494" or some other text in the Check# field, that may have been saved under the covers of your new reminder. Other than deleting the reminder and recreating it from a register transaction without text in Check#, I can think of no other way of getting rid of it for good.
  • sgoldberg124
    sgoldberg124 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thanks again UKR. I don't remember how I created this reminder. I'll try deleting the reminder and recreate it. So for now, lets consider this case closed. I'll live with it, I have for a couple of years now, so what is a few more years. ;)
This discussion has been closed.