Why on earth is the filter for transactions by (Date) not by Date by Order Entered)?

Options
TTSguy
TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
 My background is in engineering, however I'm also very good with numbers! What I don't understand is why Quicken has set the DEFAULT filtered date filtered for transactions to "Date"?

My CU processes my transaction in the "order" they came to the credit union?  Wouldn't accounting protocol want transactions to match the Date / Order Entered on the FI's statements for obvious reasons if you have to compare your Quicken to your bank statement. 

It seems to me that the two should mirror each other. As it is (or) was, if you reset your filters or change the filters in any way, they automatically change or "reset to the default to Date, instead of Date / Order Entered. after another filter change.  Why isn't Date /  Order Entered

As it is I may show a transaction from my FI at month end that doesn't show on Quicken  OR vise-versa, especially if I use a filter to look at a specific month. This doesn't seem like the way a CPA or Bookkeeper would prefer!

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    TTSguy said:
     My background is in engineering, however I'm also very good with numbers! What I don't understand is why Quicken has set the DEFAULT filtered date filtered for transactions to "Date"?
    Well, my guess at this is that sorting by date/order came after sorting by date.
    Developers are reluctant to change defaults after they have been established because if you change them, there is always some customers that are going to complain about that change.  People hate change, even if the change is for the better.

But on top of this, in general they aren't going to change something that no one has asked for.
    If there isn't an Idea thread for this you should create one so that people can vote on it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TTSguy said:
    if you reset your filters or change the filters in any way, they automatically change or "reset to the default to Date, instead of Date / Order Entered. after another filter change.  Why isn't Date /  Order Entered
    Like you, I always use Date/Order Entered. But I am not seeing that change after a filter change or reset. Mine stays where I want it. Do you have a specific reproducible scenario that changes the sort order to Date?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For the filters you can change them in two different ways, but if you want to change to by Order Entered, or Date / Order Entered you have to do it by going to the top RH gear icon, open that, then go down to sort, then down to the bottom of the list to change or check what the sort order is. I'd like to see it revert back to Date / Order Entered if the filters are closed (not showing all the filter boxes) to make it the default. You cannot tell what the sort order is if it is sorted by Date, Order Entered, or Date Order / Entered,

Case in point, I put the end of month closing balance in the note box for the last transaction from my FI every month for each account, If I don't have Date / Order Entered set for the sort argument that amount can be in the wrong transaction line if it's just set to Date. I use that to verify my closing balance every month if I have to go back for a missing transaction or double entry. I can easily find a transaction that ended up with the wrong date or wrong amount.

I use this in the same manner that is suggested for beginning balance amount listed, except for the ending balance, then if something goes haywire all I have to do is sort by Date /Order entered, verify that the amount in the memo box is in fact the true running balance, and wa-lah, I can find what month the discrepancy is in easily by looking at the closing balance and see if it mimics the amount I have in the Memo box. It's just a pain not knowing if the sort order is by Date or by Date / Order Entered or by Order entered without going over to the gear, open that, go the sort, open that, then go down to see what's selected on the list!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That idea won't help with the issue I'm experiencing Thanks though
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    TTSguy said:
    Well, my guess at this is that sorting by date/order came after sorting by date.
    Developers are reluctant to change defaults after they have been established because if you change them, there is always some customers that are going to complain about that change.  People hate change, even if the change is for the better.

But on top of this, in general they aren't going to change something that no one has asked for.
    If there isn't an Idea thread for this you should create one so that people can vote on it.
    Signature:
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    TTSguy said:

Did you miss my earlier response? There is an Idea post available already.
    And if the programmers are reluctant to change a default, they can always make it optional, by adding a setting to Preferences.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @UKR as I understood it, the idea URL posted doesn't match what @TTSguy was requesting.

The idea URL talks about secondary sorting.  Whereas @TTSguy just wanted the default to be sorted by Date/Order entered.
    Signature:
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For me, The key statement @TTSguy makes is:
    I'd like to see it revert back to Date / Order Entered if the filters are closed (not showing all the filter boxes) to make it the default. 
    My example off of that statement:
    I have the entire register sorted by Date / Order Entered (or any other choice).
    I filter the register to only Amazon payments. 
    For that filtered view, I want the sort by Payment.  I want the big purchases at the top.
    Now done with that filtering, I close the filter. 
    The entire register is now sorted by Payment.  @TTSguy wants it to automatically returned to Date / Order Entered as it was before the filter was activated.   

Frankly, I fail to see the need.  It is a one-click step for most sort selections (column header), a two click step for Date / Order Entered or the simpler Order Entered.  If I were to switch to one line or two line display while filtered, should that too revert?  If I deleted a column or added a column, should that revert?  If I changed the "Show reminders setting, should that revert?  I just don't see the filtered view as that unique from the entire register view. 

My $0.02 worth.
This discussion has been closed.