Can I store the data files on a Quicken server so other people can access data?

Options
steverdad
steverdad Unconfirmed, Member
edited November 2022 in Before you Buy
I want to load Quicken on my PC for treasurer work for a club. I want to keep all the data separate from my personal data on another version of Quicken on my PC.
Can I download a new Quicken program to my PC and have it operate separately from an older version of Quicken? Also I want the files to be backed up on the web and accessed by people that take over my job as treasurer.
Can I store all the data files on Quicken server?
Can I have two separate versions of Quicken one for club and one for my personal info?
When I stop being treasurer and someone else transfer the rights from my PC to their PC and download to their PC?

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2022
    Options
    steverdad said:
    I want to load Quicken on my PC for treasurer work for a club. I want to keep all the data separate from my personal data on another version of Quicken on my PC.
    You can have multiple Quicken data files on your PC with different accounts in each file. You don't need two versions of Quicken.

steverdad said:
    Can I download a new Quicken program to my PC and have it operate separately from an older version of Quicken?
    I don't know if you can have two different versions of Quicken Windows installed at the same time without them stepping on each other. I suspect you cannot but a Quicken Windows user could give you a more definitive answer.

steverdad said:
    Also I want the files to be backed up on the web and accessed by people that take over my job as treasurer.
    You could store a  backup of your Quicken file on a cloud service, but you're not going to be able to store your main data file there. Somebody else could download the backup from the cloud & use it after you're no longer treasurer, but there's no easy way to have multiple people sharing a Quicken file.

steverdad said:
    Can I store all the data files on Quicken server?
    There is no Quicken server as such. There is a cloud service that you can use to sync your data to a mobile device but it doesn't replace the data file stored on your PC. It certainly wouldn't be of any use in transferring your data to another user. You'll have to find some other cloud location (like DropBox) for that.

steverdad said:
    When I stop being treasurer and someone else transfer the rights from my PC to their PC and download to their PC?
    Your Quicken license is for you. If someone else takes over as treasurer & wants to continue using Quicken to track the club finances, they'll have to buy their own Quicken license. They should be able to open your Quicken data file once they're set up with Quicken.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    steverdad said:
    I want to load Quicken on my PC for treasurer work for a club.
    Quicken stores your data in external QDF data files - just like MS Word and multiple DOC files.  So you can create any number of QDF data files, and just open the one you need at any time - only 1 at a time though.
    Quicken can create local Backups - and that is encouraged - along with Quicken manual backups and good idea to just copy those QDF-Backup files (just copies of the actual QDF file) and store them external to your local hard drive.
    SO.. just treat Quicken and it's QDF data files just like you would with important MS Word DOC files.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    steverdad said:
    Also I want the files to be backed up on the web...
    No problem. You can generate Quicken backups and store them on Dropbox or another cloud storage service.

steverdad said:
    ...and accessed by people that take over my job as treasurer.
    Oops! Quicken is not built for this. I was treasurer of a non-profit association and kept the books on Quicken; when I turned the job over to someone else, I passed on the data file and program. But while I was treasurer, only I had access to the data.

Well, there's sort of a way. Quicken allows you to sync some of your data to its cloud server, and access it via a web interface. But, but, but…

But: anyone you have access the data will share the same Quicken ID and password. (So you might want to purchase a separate Quicken subscription so you don't share your personal ID and password with others.)

But: anyone who has access to the web interface can also enter data and edit data, which will sync back to the master copy on your PC. That's a no-no for an organization's treasurer.

But: the syncing between your Quicken desktop data file and the Quicken cloud data is one of the areas where problems sometimes come up in using Quicken. Personally, I don't use the Quicken cloud syncing; I leave it turned off. While it would occasionally be useful for me to look up something in my data when I'm away from my desktop Mac, I don't want to take any chances of data accuracy or corruption; I've read too many problem reports from users over the years to use this feature Quicken.

My suggestion is that you use Quicken locally on your Mac, period. If others need to see information, set up saved reports in Quicken that you can generate on a quarterly or monthly or as-needed basis, and send them PDFs of the report(s) they want to see. When your hand over the treasurer job to someone else, send the the data file and they can change it to be attached to their Quicken ID and carry on. (Keep in mind not everyone will even want to use Quicken; your successor might want to use QuickBooks or some other accounting software.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.