Quicken No Longer Checks for Software Updates

Options
Boatnmaniac
Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
A couple of days ago I changed my QuickenID which required me to go through the Sign In As A Different User process with each of my data files.  That process went OK but since then Quicken no longer checks for software updates during OSU as well as via Help > Check for Updates and I get this error message:
I am running R44.20 and have not been having any issues with it (until now) so I have declined to update to any of the R44.2X hotfixes.  I've avoided updating my installation to any of the R44.2X hotfixes because I keep seeing reports from users in Community of new issues that the hotfixes seem to introduce.  I've been waiting to update until an apparently more stable version is released.
No other issues have been observed.  Updating Accounts and other Online Services do not appear to be affected. 
I'm actually kind of happy that I'm not being constantly prompted anymore to update the version I am running and that this means I probably don't need to worry about Quicken blowing past my UAC settings and updating the Quicken version without my approval. But I do look for these version update notices in Update Summary to get a heads up on new version releases when I haven't previously seen an Announcement here in Community.
Is anyone else seeing this same issue?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Comments

• UserDavidC
    UserDavidC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't use OSU (I don't update any of my accounts via a download), but I did try a Help > Check for Updates and was prompted with the correct message that a newer version was available.

I am running 27.1.43.14 at this time as I am also waiting for a more stable version before updating.
    Quicken user since 1995.
    Current subscription user.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hmmmm.... interesting - 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    Options
    Ps56k2 said:
    hmmm - interesting...
    Yes, that was my thought, too.  When I first noticed this 2 days ago I did the normal thing...chalk it up to a temporary glitch and by the next day it whould all be OK, again.  But it wasn't.  So, I decided to give it one more day.  But today was the same so I started this thread.
    Maybe this is related to one of the issues that R44.23, R44.25 and R44.27 were intended to fix but there is nothing in the Release Notes about it so maybe it is not a related issue. 
    Until/unless someone else posts here that they are seeing the same error message and loss of functionality I'm tempted to think it is maybe just my installation (this issue is present with all of my main and test data files so I don't think it is a data file issue).  I have not tried to do any troubleshooting yet but it might be time to try V&R (I cringe every time I think about doing that because it almost always adversely impacts the data in my file), reinstalling R44.20 and/or updating to R44.27.  In the mean time, I'm reporting this issue to Quicken.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Seems more like a feature than an issue.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It would seem that one of two things has happened.. 
    1 - some Quicken process is no longer running or has been disabled on the desktop. 
    2 - some Quicken port has been blocked by the Windows Firewall or Defender

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Ps56k2 said:
    It would seem that one of two things has happened.. 
    1 - some Quicken process is no longer running or has been disabled on the desktop. 
    2 - some Quicken port has been blocked by the Windows Firewall or Defender
    I was toying around with this last night.  V&R did not fix it.  Reinstalling R44.20 did not fix it.  Clean Unistall and reinstall did not fix it.
    This morning my thoughts were running along the same lines as @Ps56k2 .  I dove into the Windows Firewall settings and noticed this:
    When the setting was changed to "Allow the connection" this issue was resolved.
    This issue starting occurring on 10/18.  On 10/18 I switched my AV software from McAfee Multi-Access Suite to F-Secure Security Suite (Spectrum had informed me that as part of my Internet subscription they were canceling McAfee and replacing it with F-Secure).  Coincidence?  Probably because I cannot imagine F-Secure making this change.
    And notice the description...see bold italics:  "To stop automatically updating Quicken (i.e., blowing past the UAC settings)."  Coincidence that it uses wording that is very similar to the same as what is posted in the SU Lounge (related to the Alert at ONGOING 10/18/22 Quicken updates bypassing Windows settings)?  That does not make sense, either.
    That brings it down to me setting up Firewall to block QuickenPatch.exe.  I do not remember doing that.
    But I do remember a post in the SU Lounge on 10/8 wondering why this block was set up in his Windows Firewall setting.  Two of us now seeing this same thing?  Hmmm......

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Feature not an issue.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    Options
    mshiggins said:
    Feature not an issue.

That cannot be determined unless it can be determined what the cause is.  You know what the cause is?

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Questions: Is your actual file C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\quickenPatch.exe spelled with upper case or lower case Q?  And what is the date of the file?  I ask since your screenshot shows upper case Q but mine is lower case q.
    P.S. Personally I view this issue as a positive/music to my ears!
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Windows file names are not case sensitive.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Boatnmaniac said: 
    Wonder how exactly you arrived at that screen - I can't seem to find the same display in Windows Firewall ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Boatnmaniac
    Options
    BK said:
    Questions: Is your actual file C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\quickenPatch.exe spelled with upper case or lower case Q?  And what is the date of the file?  I ask since your screenshot shows upper case Q but mine is lower case q.
    P.S. Personally I view this issue as a positive/music to my ears!
    @Rocket J Squirrel it is not case sensitive.
    Oh, and the create date of that file is 3/10/2022.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options
    Ps56k2 said:
    Boatnmaniac said: 
    Wonder how exactly you arrived at that screen - I can't seem to find the same display in Windows Firewall ?

Go Outbound Rules for Windows Defender Firewall.  Look for the QuickenPatch.exe listing and double click on it.  (I'd place a photo of it here but for some reason right now my system is acting up and not letting me capture the view.)

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Boatnmaniac said:  Go Outbound Rules for Windows Defender Firewall.  Look for the QuickenPatch.exe listing ...
    finally stumbled across the Inbound/Outbound Rules -
    BUT.... I don't have the "QuickenPatch.exe" entry ... hmmm...  I'm still running QWin R43.26

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Windows file names are not case sensitive.
    I realize that.  I am simply pointing out the inconsistencies.
    Why does the image show QuickenPatch.exe (Q & P) where the file name is quickenPatch.exe (P only)?  Of course unless sometime in 2022 Quicken changed the file name to be QuickenPatch.exe.  Yet my latest install is still named quickenPatch.exe also dated 3/10/2022.  I find this odd.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited October 2022
    Options
    QuickenPatch.exe capitalized is simply the name of the firewall rule. The rule can be named whatever you like.
    If you don't have such a rule, it is because you didn't create it. It's not a default or built-in rule.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes.  But @Boatnmaniac wrote that he didn't create it.
    "That brings it down to me setting up Firewall to block QuickenPatch.exe.  I do not remember doing that."

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options
    BK said:
    "That brings it down to me setting up Firewall to block QuickenPatch.exe.  I do not remember doing that."
    I will bet you a donut he did create it and forgot.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL and Thank you! :)

• Boatnmaniac
    Options
    BK said:
    I will bet you a donut he did create it and forgot.

As I said above:  "That brings it down to me setting up Firewall to block QuickenPatch.exe.  I do not remember doing that."
    I'm really hoping that is not the case.  Alzheimer's runs deep on my mother's side of the family.   She was about my current age when she got it.  So, yeah, it would be concerning to me if I really did create the rule and have simply forgotten doing that.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options
    it would be concerning to me if I really did create the rule and have simply forgotten doing that.
    The "blowing past" verbiage suggests you did, sorry.
    I have long been in the habit of adding my initials and the date to any available comment field when I change a Windows setting or feature. In this instance, that would be the Description field.

This discussion has been closed.