Investment Reports

westwill3
westwill3 Member
edited December 2022 in Investing (Windows)
Ever since the R44-27 y investment reports have been incorrect. They show totals 3 or 4 times the actual value. The register totals are correct. I can't drill down in the reports to see what's happening.

Comments

• DaveD2
    DaveD2 Member ✭✭
    I don't trust Quicken investment tracking. If I show investments by account, I get one ROI number, if I group by security, I get another wildly different number.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveD2 said:
    I don't trust Quicken investment tracking. If I show investments by account, I get one ROI number, if I group by security, I get another wildly different number.

For more on this topic, see this discussion
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7864889/account-level-amount-invested-and-roi-are-calculated-incorrectly-when-a-security-is-sold
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance you have made changes affecting accounts?  For example, Vanguard has moved a lot of folks into new brokerage accounts over the years.  When that happens, the group by accounts will show return numbers, etc. that only reflect the time securities are in a particular account over the time range of the indicator (1 year, 3 year, etc.).  So if you are looking at a security that you have held for, say 3 years, but it has only been in the current account for 1 year, the return computation grouped by account only goes back to the time in that current account.

Group by security, however, will capture the return over the entire time range even if the security was in two different accounts.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• DaveD2
    DaveD2 Member ✭✭
    > @Bob_L said:
    > Any chance you have made changes affecting accounts?  For example, Vanguard has moved a lot of folks into new brokerage accounts over the years.  When that happens, the group by accounts will show return numbers, etc. that only reflect the time securities are in a particular account over the time range of the indicator (1 year, 3 year, etc.).  So if you are looking at a security that you have held for, say 3 years, but it has only been in the current account for 1 year, the return computation grouped by account only goes back to the time in that current account.
    > Group by security, however, will capture the return over the entire time range even if the security was in two different accounts.

That explains it. Thanks Bob.
This discussion has been closed.