Reconciling receipts

Options
Incorrigible
Incorrigible Member
Hello. Previously, I used quicken 2001 and entered all my receipts manually. When reconciling my statements, I could look for errors and such. I upgraded to the subscription quicken and quicken downloading my transactions is nice. However, how do I "reconcile" (if that's the right word) my receipts with the downloaded transactions to look for errors? If I go into reconciling, it wants to reconcile statements. Is there any way to mark transactions to indicate I have the receipt and the amounts match? Thanks for your help.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Incorrigible

If you want to have a way to "match" (rather than "reconcile" which means something completely different especially in the Quicken application) your receipts to transactions, I would suggest that you add a new  column to your register(s) - it is a "Notes" column - which you can use for your matching process.

To do that:
    1) open the account register > click on the little "Gear" icon in the upper-right, > click on the "Register columns" > and then select "Notes".
    2) this will add a New column to the left of the "Payment or "Charge" column (depending on the type of account).

Let me know how that goes, or if you have any followup questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I sort of read this request a bit different, and in fact besides what @Frankx suggested I can think of at least two different interpretations.

One might be, that you go ahead and enter your receipts in Quicken and then match them to downloaded transactions as they come in.

Another might be that you don't want to pre enter your receipts/transactions, but you do want to check each downloaded transaction to a receipt you have.

For that I would suggest one of two methods depending on if you are using automatic transaction entry mode or not.

If you are using automatic transaction entry mode, the transactions go directly into the register and there will be a status column (the one with a blue dot).  New transactions will either have a status of New or New Match if the downloaded transaction has been matched to one that you had already pre-entered.

If you click on the New/New Match I dialog will pop up and you can select Reviewed, which clears this status.  So, you would look that the downloaded transaction and compare it to your receipts, put that receipt in the done pile and mark the transaction Reviewed.

If you aren't using automatic transaction entry mode, then all the transactions go through the Downloaded Transactions tab at the bottom of the register.  You should be accepting them one at a time into the register, and at that time you can check your receipt and put it in the done pile.

Note you might have in the past used the Clr field for this same purpose, but for downloaded transactions Quicken automatically sets it to c (clear) because the very fact that it has downloaded implies that it has cleared the financial institution.

Note there is also Reconcile where you reconcile to either the statement balance or the downloaded online balance.  This is a check that your Quicken accounts and your financial institution accounts are in agreement, and when finished Quicken will set the Clr field to R.  Note it also clears the status column (New/New Match).
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.