Account entries are being downloaded multiple times and (some) are being changed to reconciled.

Options
Laura321
Laura321 Member ✭✭
:s Over the weekend I tried updating my accounts downloading transactions from Chase (JP Morgan Chase) and several other accounts. Instead of downloading new transactions, duplicate and triplicate versions of previous entries were downloaded. Also some entries were changed from cleared to reconciled. I've found duplicate transactions all the way back to July, 2022 that were created and entered as, or changed to reconciled.

How do I find and resolve duplicate and triplicate entries especially when Quicken is changing downloaded transactions from cleared transactions to reconciled. I worked with Chase Tech Support on 10/23/22 when I called them about duplicate transactions being entered on my last update, also on 10/23. They suggested deactivating and reactivating my Chase accounts. Upon reactivating and Quicken then downloaded 2424*days of transactions in two of my Chase accounts. I had previously updated on October 18th. In a normal week I probably average somewhere less than 50 transactions in all of my accounts. Using 50 transactions per week, or 7 per day, approximated 17,314 transactions were downloaded.

How do I fix? Chase says it's not their issue, they say the problem(s) are because of Quicken.

Please help.

Laura
*I have a screenshot if you think I'm exaggerating.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope you have a backup made just before this mess.
    The problem might be explained here:
    Constitutionally I'm solidly against have downloaded transactions automatically entered into registers or transaction lists.  I want to see each downloaded transaction to determine if it's correct and proper and not a duplicate before I let it into my file.
  • Laura321
    Laura321 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Unfortunately, Tom, I didn't. My bad. I had to go back and rebalance all of my Chase transactions. I fixed it though. Still no real resolution from Quicken and it seems more keep developing. I turned off automatic entry for all of my Chase accounts but still have them updating using Quicken's Online Update feature which connects via Chase's Express Web Connect+ . If this doesn't get fixed soon, I'm not sure there is any reason to stay with Quicken. This is so broke.

Do you manually enter all of your transactions or do you use the Online Update feature but have automatic entry turned off? Just curious.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Do you manually enter all of your transactions or do you use the Online Update feature but have automatic entry turned off? Just curious."
    I'm not consistent here in terms of how transactions get entered into the Accounts, except I don't allow automatic entry in any Account.
    I believe manual entry when you make a transaction is the best approach, for several reasons.  In the case of purchases, the transaction is fresh in your mind as to what you bought, how much it cost, and how the dollars should be split, if a split is involved. Doing this consistently also safeguards you if someone else manages to use your credit card, which has happened in my case 3 or 4 times over the years.
    I am very consistent about making manual entries to my bank registers, somewhat less consistent when it comes to credit card transactions, (though I do keep all receipts and match them to the downloads), and in the case of investment Accounts, unless I originate a transaction I pretty much have to rely on downloads from the financial institutions.
    I would say that a "Good House Keeping" practice when it comes to Quicken is to have it make a backup each time it closes down. (Edit > Preferences... > Backup > Back up after running Quicken: 1 times > Maximum number of backup copies: 99 .)  Hard disk drive space is cheap and in this era where financial institutions are abandoning Direct Connect in favor of one of the to EWC methods you just know that you're going to have to resort to a backup at one point or the other.  Having "yesterday's" backup, just before the day when disaster strikes, is so much better then having to work through weeks or months of transactions to recover.
    One other strike against automatic entry is that Quicken now does allow you to delete transactions in the "Downloaded Transactions" area en masse instead of one-at-a-time.  Much simpler than combing through a register trying to find dups or correcting changes to entries in the Clr column.
This discussion has been closed.