Painful Quicken startup & auto install of new versions

Options
Tip.N.Ring
Tip.N.Ring Member ✭✭
Other software such as paint.net (open source like MS paint application) starts up and says "An update is available to this application. would you like to install when you close your session? Is that so hard?

Why do I need to pause and wait for Quicken to work? It makes no logical sense at all. The computer should work for me, not the other way around.
Tagged:

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm understanding the problem. 
    When I start Quicken it "knows" if a new update is available and asks me if I want to install it.  The reason it "asks" instead of simply going ahead and doing the update is that I have Window's User Account Control ("UAC") activated.  Typically I click the "No" button and the program comes up.  (I'm cautious about willy-nilly updates of Quicken because it's not uncommon that Quicken updates have a bug of some sort buried in them.)
    Is your objection here that Quicken automatically goes through the update process at startup?  If that's the case then I'd suggest enabling UAC.
  • Tip.N.Ring
    Tip.N.Ring Member ✭✭
    Options
    Am I belling to obtuse? I would prefer if the software asked me in the beginning of the session, then did its update when I am done
  • Tip.N.Ring
    Tip.N.Ring Member ✭✭
    Options
    I mean if it was good enough for the week for the its'd date + update ...
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No one likes the way Quicken wants to force updates at the beginning of sessions. We therefore use UAC to prevent it. 

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.