Can Quicken identify which CARD was used for the one Capital One Account?

Options
ddahan
ddahan Member ✭✭
Hi,

Like most families, we have one Capital One account, but four distinct cards: me, my wife, each of my two sons. On the Capital One web site, it clearly states which card each transaction was from. Can't Quicken do this? It's a simple field. Instead of "Tag" (which I still don't know the us of it), can't there be a column in the Register for "Card" and insert whatever information in there that the Credit card company uploads?

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @ddahan.

Unfortunately, the data available to Quicken (and therefore to your Quicken datafile) is determined by the financial institution - in this case Capital One. Capital One decides what data they provide and what form that data takes.  Specifically with respect to credit cards - that data includes all charges and payments at the "account" level and not at the card level.  If you want to see data at card level, you would need to open a credit card account for each individual cardholder.

Other than that, you'll need to record/monitor the individual card data manually.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    About Tags.  You could use a tag for each person.

There are Categories and Sub-Categories and Tags. You use a colon in front of a sub-category.  The forward slash / designates a Tag,  or there is also a TAG column.  

Example of Sub-Category….
    Auto:Auto Fuel
    Auto:Maintance

Example of Tags…
    Auto Fuel/Toyota
    Auto Fuel/Ford

I have a home business and  use Tags  for each job.  Then when I run a report I can sort it by job.  So an expense entry might look like this…
    Business Expense:Supplies/Maple Street

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    While a transaction can have only one category, it can have multiple tags.
    To add to volvogirl's response, in her car example, the category was Auto Fuel, the tag was Toyota.  You could also have a tag for Summer Trip 2022 so that you could know both how much fuel for the Toyota cost, but how much you spent on the Summer Trip 2022.  That same Summer Trip 2022 tag could also be applied the food you ate and the hotel bills.
    Running a tag report would show you the entire cost of Summer Trip 2022.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.