Incorrect "Current Value" in Account Bar For Future "Add Shares"

Options
GaryPRussell
GaryPRussell Member ✭✭
edited December 2022 in Investing (Windows)
If you add shares to an investment account on a future date, the account value in the account bar includes the value of those future shares, even when "Show Current Balance in Account Bar" is selected. The value in Investment | Portfolio is correct when today's date is in "As of".

I am using a pseudo security to track accrued interest for bonds (not taxable until paid), but this bug prevents me from entering the expected future accruals.

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    There are two dates in the Add Shares Transaction - the transaction date and the Date Acquired. Quicken will not let you specify a date more than 10 days in the future for the date acquired. If you set the transaction date in the future but leave the Date acquired at the default of today, the Account Bar shows the value of the security even though you don't hold it yet.

This looks like a bug, but it does not come up often because the Added transaction is normally used for securities that were acquired some time in the past but added to the account at a later date, for example as a gift or transferred from another account.

I suspect you will have to come up with a different way of recording accrued interest, such as the one discussed here
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7922174/treasury-note-bond-purchases
    QWin Premier subscription
  • GaryPRussell
    GaryPRussell Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks; I didn't notice the date acquired box. I'll take a look at the other post, but my scheme will work for now, I just won't be able to enter them more than 10 days in advance. If they relaxed that check, it would be perfect.
  • GaryPRussell
    GaryPRussell Member ✭✭
    Options
    I switched to simply future deposits from a non taxable income category; I will journal from that to interest income when I sell the bonds.
This discussion has been closed.