express web connect not working

Options
todo
todo Member ✭✭
I used "File/Copy or Backup files ..." option to save my files (for the discussion I'll call it Latest_cpy.QDF) to a new HD (new location). Latest_cpy.QDF appears to have all of the new data; however, when I attempted to update my checking account. I'll get the error

Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault.)

How to fix this problem?

I googled around and it appears that I need to deactivate/activate or some kind of "reset" to resolve this. But the problem is I don't see any of that option in the "Online setup". At the "online setup", I only see "Download transactions directly from your financial institution" and "set up now..."

As an experiment, I went back to my original QDF file, and lord be hold, there is the "deactivate" and "reset account" buttons.

Does this mean copy/backup option omitted something? And most important, how to fix this?

Thanks!

P.S. - I don't want to go back to original file, because there are new data in the latest QDF. It'll be a pain if I have to redo several days of work.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Options
    The File Copy funtion deactivates all account online setups in the Copied file.  This then allows the file ID to be reset which is quite important.  The last thing one should do is update copies of the same Quicken data file that have the same file ID because they will all share the same Cloud Account.  Sharing the same Cloud Account introduces file cross-talk issues where some changes made in one file will also show up in the other file.  And when files share the same Cloud Account it is only a matter of time before one or both files get some sort of data corruption possibly making the files unusuable or where the data is not recoverable.  When the new file ID is created it will cause there to be a new Cloud Account set up for it so there can be no cross-talk between the 2 files. 

So, it is good that you took the File Copy path.  Unfortunately, it does mean you will need to do Set Up Now or Add Account to get online services for those accounts setup, again.  Once that is done you should be able to update all the accounts using OSU in your Copied file, just like in the original file without risk of cross-talk and data file corruption. 

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• todo
    todo Member ✭✭
    Options
    What do you meant by 'do Set Up Now or Add Account'? Under "Accounts", all of my financial institutions' info are still there? I afraid to remove them, since I don't want to delete 20+ years of data.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    todo said:
    What do you meant by 'do Set Up Now or Add Account'? Under "Accounts", all of my financial institutions' info are still there? I afraid to remove them, since I don't want to delete 20+ years of data.
    I did not say anything about needing to delete any data at all.  There should be absolutely no need to remove any of your financial institutions, accounts and transactions data in either of your data files.  

In the original main data file:  It is not affected.  You should be able to continue using it like you always have.  No special actions need to be taken.

In the Copied file:
    • When you did File Copy you did the right thing to ensure that your data in both files remains intact and protected from potential corruption because of cross-talk between this file and the original main data file.
    • When you made that Copied file the online services for every Financial Institution in this file only were deactivated.  
    • If you want to get your Copied file to start downloading data you will need to set up online services for each of those Financial Institutions in that Copied file.  
    • One way to set up online services for a Financial Institution is to go to Tools > Add Account > enter the name of the Financial Institution > follow the prompts > when given the opportunity be sure to Link the downloaded data to the correct account(s) already existing in Quicken...do not select Add or Ignore.  When done the account(s) for that Financial Institution should now be set up for downloading transactions.  Repeat for other Financial Instititutions as needed.
    • Another way to set up online services is the Set Up Now process.  Set Up Now is just a means of getting to the Add Account process from the Online Services tab of Account Details.
    If you are totally unfamiliar with the Add Accounts process I would suggest that you consider calling Quicken Support (Official Quicken® Support - Phone, Chat, or Community).  They will be able to walk you though the process and even have tools to remotely access your Quicken to assist in this.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.