Expiring activation codes.. Is this legal?

Options
makakilo
makakilo Member
I purchased a deluxe version of quicken from Amazon and received the product in January of 2020. Never got around to opening it.. I was using Quicken deluxe 2015 and Microsoft Money... My Quicken 2015 stopped working, i could look at existing files but could not create new accounts... I decided to open up my latest quicken I received 2+ years ago. To my surprise I was notified that it had expired.. No mention of this on the box or the activation card...

Any suggestions?

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken started putting expiration dates on activation codes back in 2018.  They expire 2 yrs after the date of manufacture/packaging, not 2 yrs after the date of purchase.  Following is a picture of the bottom of the back of the CD packaging for Quicken Starter 2019...note the small print shaded in yellow with the expiration date.  If your new Quicken is 2019 or later it should have the expiration date shown in the same place but maybe somewhere else on the exterior of the box.  You do not see that? 

If you do not see that expiration date:  What year of Quicken is it?

If it is Quicken 2018 then you could try pleading your case with Quicken Support because some Quicken 2018 packages did not have the expiration date on the outside of the box.  Maybe someone there will agree to extend the activation code (or give you a new one) in this case.  To contact Quicken via Phone Call or Chat:  Official Quicken® Support - Phone, Chat, or Community.  (Make sure your browser allows pop ups or that Quicken.com is whitelisted.)

However, if your new Quicken is 2017 or earlier then I'm afraid you are out of luck.  Quicken 2017 support ended in 2020 so there is nothing that can be activated any longer.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options
    All the more reason to go plead the case with Quicken Support.  Only they can extend the expiration date or provide a new activation code.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Quicken started putting expiration dates on activation codes back in 2018.  They expire 2 yrs after the date of manufacture/packaging, not 2 yrs after the date of purchase.  Following is a picture of the bottom of the back of the CD packaging for Quicken Starter 2019...note the small print shaded in yellow with the expiration date.  If your new Quicken is 2019 or later it should have the expiration date shown in the same place but maybe somewhere else on the exterior of the box.  You do not see that? 

If you do not see that expiration date:  What year of Quicken is it?

If it is Quicken 2018 then you could try pleading your case with Quicken Support because some Quicken 2018 packages did not have the expiration date on the outside of the box.  Maybe someone there will agree to extend the activation code (or give you a new one) in this case.  To contact Quicken via Phone Call or Chat:  Official Quicken® Support - Phone, Chat, or Community.  (Make sure your browser allows pop ups or that Quicken.com is whitelisted.)

However, if your new Quicken is 2017 or earlier then I'm afraid you are out of luck.  Quicken 2017 support ended in 2020 so there is nothing that can be activated any longer.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just looked over the CD I got a couple of months ago, and nowhere on it does it specify an expiration date for the activation code.  They seem to be very inconsistent on this.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They aren't even consistent about updating their copyright information, it is stated as 2020 in a couple of spots and 2019 in another.
    Signature:
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    I just looked over the CD I got a couple of months ago, and nowhere on it does it specify an expiration date for the activation code.
    I would think it is only printed on the external retail box 

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ps56k2 said:
    Chris_QPW said:
    I just looked over the CD I got a couple of months ago, and nowhere on it does it specify an expiration date for the activation code.
    I would think it is only printed on the external retail box 

That is exactly what I'm talking about.  There is a package that holds the CD.  Nothing on it.  There is the CD and an Activation code card inside.  Nothing on it.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Outside cover:

CD case:

Activation card:

CD:

Signature:
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options
    All the more reason to go plead the case with Quicken Support.  Only they can extend the expiration date or provide a new activation code.

• makakilo
    makakilo Member
    Options
    I contacted quicken.. The customer service was very helpful. I was lucky I bought this on Amazon as I had the purchase info regarding Quicken in my Amazon orders. The kicker is that they also wanted the original email sent from Amazon on the purchase… I had the email which is almost 3 years old. In addition I provided pictures of the box and the expired authorization document. It took about 30 minutes to get a valid code. For the most part it was painless. Luckily I had the original email…If I didn’t this experience might have been awful.
  • makakilo
    makakilo Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information👍
  • Boatnmaniac
    Options
    I'm glad it worked out well for you @makakilo .

This discussion has been closed.