Does Chase Web Connect+ actually work for anyone?

Options
Linwood
Linwood Member ✭✭
I got all the notices, I've run the account setup dozens of times. I just went through and deactivated my accounts (one checking, one credit card), moved account number and name; closed and opened quicken, added them back clicking Advanced and choosing web connect+. I've signed in, it all appears to work, I get the email from Chase each time, Quicken is happy and says it downloaded the last XXXX days (I forget the numbers, really large).

Nothing.

If I update again it appears to work, but on the summary it's not there, even when I update just that account.

I've been doing this for months, and avoiding using the Chase card so I don't have to enter transactions manually.

No errors -- no failures... it just does nothing.

Is this working properly for anyone?

I'm also connected to two other banks that work perfectly.

Months... Do I just forget about Chase? Or forget about using it with Quicken? Is there hope?

Linwood

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can say that it does work for some people.  On the other hand, there are a lot of people that are saying that it isn't downloading transactions for them, or in some cases some are missing transactions.

Note the same can be said for Bank of America too.  I certainly hope that they will get all this working for people considering that these are major financial institutions and because they say other financial institutions are planning to go to Express Web Connect + over the next year too.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Linwood

The best way to determine whether your EWC+ connection with Chase is working (or not) would be to have some activity in your account.  So I suggest that you use your Chase credit card and also enter into some transactions with your Chase bank account (if you have one.  That will answer your question within a day or so.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Linwood
    Linwood Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Frankx, I have a few transactions in the account, I am just avoiding any volume. They are not appearing. They have not for months. It runs, it just does not do anything.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @Linwood

If you are seeing no transactions, then it sounds like you are no longer connected to your account in Quicken.  You should have gone through the process of "reauthorizing your Chase accounts" (and a similar process for your Bank of America account(s)).  If you haven't completed those, you should go to the bank's website and complete that.  If you have completed the process but still can't download transactions - you may be affected by another problem that users have seen lately - see this LINK for more information and please bookmark it for more information.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have two accounts with Chase, both CC that converted successfully to EWC+. I have one CC with BoA that converted to EWC+ that never updates when running OSU. The only way I can get the BoA account to update is to go to the register and run ⚙️ > Update Now. What happens when you run Update Now from the Chase register?
  • Linwood
    Linwood Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Frankxx, I did book mark it, perhaps that is me. I've reconnected, deactivated, re-connected so many times I keep worrying Chase will block me thinking its a hack. I've been doing this once a month or so now for months, never any progress. Thank you.

@Geoffg, if I run update now from the register it starts as though it is working, no errors, but when the summary screen appears to show which account(s) updated, it shows nothing, just blank. no error, but not updated.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @Linwood

If you open the account register > then click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right > select "Edit Account Details" > then click on the "Online Services" tab > what does it say after "Connection Method"?   

• Linwood
    Linwood Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Frankx, it shows "Financial Institution: Chase, Connection Method: Express Web Connect +. My understanding is that's the one that is fairly automated, and when I run it should require a web based signin to the bank, but then automagically pull transactions. Is that correct?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Linwood,

Express Web Connect+ is the fairly new connection method that several financial institutions have adopted (and we expect many more FI's to also adopt). It should act very much like the Express Web Connect with a one-way connection (i.e. it downloads data, but does not "send" instructions and/or data to the FI.)

It is the "new" connection method for Chase - which was implemented in the last couple of months.  It required you to go to the Chase website and "reauthorize" your connection.  The fact that you see it in Quicken as your connection method should be a sign that your account has been reauthorized.

Given that you have been converted to EWC+ but are not receiving and downloaded transactions, makes me conclude that you are being affected by the "Notification" that I linked above (and now relink here - LINK).  I can only suggest that you monitor that post going forward, and maintain the account manually until Quicken fixes the connection problem.

Sorry that I can't do more to assist you.

Frankx

• Linwood
    Linwood Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Frankx, yes, thank you. I also get the messages from Chase every time I connect saying Quicken has connected. It really looks like it works, just nothing happens. So indeed, it seems like a bug somewhere, with I am sure Quicken and Chase (and probably intermediaries) pointing fingers. I would be satisfied with this, I do not use Chase for bill pay (for example). Thank you for trying to help.
  • Sher54
    Sher54 Member
    Options
    @Linwood, I am having the exact same problem. So frustrating! I am able to download transactions from the Chase website into Quicken, but it's a pain as I have 3 different cards with them and have to do them all separately each time. So, it's a temporary work around, but I hope this gets resolved soon.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Linwood said:
    Is this working properly for anyone?
    It's been working fine for me. No interruptions or missing downloads. I have 3 Chase credit cards under 2 different logins, but I don't have checking or any other kind of account at Chase.
    I suspect there is something in your data file which is damaged or corrupted and is causing downloads to fail. All long-time Quicken users have data corruption, but we all have different manifestations thereof.
    I have no secret knowledge of why it's failing for you, but I can guess. If you have been dutifully accepting each new Quicken release, perhaps one of those releases had a bug which damaged your data. There's no way to know for sure. But I don't accept a release until I see what people on this forum have to say about it. So possibly I avoided a poisoned release. You can see from the announcements from staff on this forum that the problem is ongoing. If it's due to damaged data, I doubt they have any idea how to fix it.
    The Chase conversion from DC to EWC+ occurred on or around 9/2/22. (That's the date I transitioned, at least.) One thing to try as an experiment would be to restore your last Quicken backup from before the conversion and see whether you can accomplish the conversion with the current Quicken release and get successful downloads. If so, you know your current data file is broken. In that case, you could try to carry on using the backup and re-downloading or re-entering 2 months worth of transactions.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Linwood
    Linwood Member ✭✭
    Options
    So @Rocket J Squirrel I'm not crazy about going back in time (since there's very little reason to think this started recently), but this gave me an interesting idea. I created a new Quicken file, and added the Chase accounts to it. Both downloaded somewhat, the checking account showed the balance but no items, the credit card showed a small handfull of transactions.

Interestingly in that setup at the top of the register it shows a last downloaded date and the Connect+ label. on my real data file, I have not seen that.

So something is different, and it certainly could be corruption. I did a validate without getting any feedback but it doesn't always work of course.

But yes, I'm now starting to think it is something specific to my main data files. I could wipe the checking account and recreate (it has little in it, fairly new, it's just an account to have a brick and mortar building if needed), but the credit card has a lot of history.

I sure wish there was a quicken alternative -- the quality of this product has taken a nosedive since subscriptions, I've had more troubles since then than in the 20 years or so before that.
This discussion has been closed.