I have been trying to back up my file, but recently get "Unable to open source file" Help

Options
tysicr
tysicr Member ✭✭
My program crashes and accounts actually disappear when I back up quicken. "Unable to open source file" Have backed up in two different locations, and I actaully loose the file, and will not open the distinatation file. Help

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • tysicr
    tysicr Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the prompt reply. The full path is drop box on drive d as well as desktop on c. Neither will open after backing up. Never had issues in the past.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options
    Quicken doesn't support using an active data file in a cloud drive folder. When you exit Quicken, the file is closed, before Quicken can make a backup, Drobox locks the file to sync it which causes Quicken not to be able to create a backup. Quicken only supports keeping the active data file in a folder on a local hard drive. Using a cloud drive for backups is fine.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you set Dropbox to backup the Q Backup file, rather than the main Q data file, your problem will be resolved.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• tysicr
    tysicr Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks what is the solution to my problem? Do I have to continue with no backup
  • tysicr
    tysicr Member ✭✭
    Options
    When I back up on window desktop this should opérateurs but it wont
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options
    Move your active Quicken data file to a folder on a local hard drive that not synced to a cloud service.
  • tysicr
    tysicr Member ✭✭
    Options
    Like I said I never had a problem or issue with the procedure I used for the last 5 years until yesterday. Why?
  • tysicr
    tysicr Member ✭✭
    Options
    My active quicker file is located on drive "c". I only backup file to "d" and windows desktop on "c"
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We really can't answer WHY type questions ... but we've shown you how to resolve your issue.  Sorry.

• tysicr
    tysicr Member ✭✭
    Options
    U have not answered my question. My active file is on "c". You have not provided any résolution. . Where do I go from here?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We HAVE answered your question.  Don't let Dropbox access your Q data file.  Your issue is directly caused by that situation.

• tysicr
    tysicr Member ✭✭
    Options
    Sorry but that is not the solution there was no issue yesterday or for that matter the last 5 years. It will not open on c drive where it is backed up as well. I will reach out to support.. otherwise the only solution is to build à complete new file which will take considérable time
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The easy fix has already been explained to you ... and it's much simpler that working with Q Support ... who will tell you the same thing that you've read here.

• tysicr
    tysicr Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks I have reviewed extensive reviens here. Now perhaps u can help me. How do I correct the error so that the backup file will open if needed? File is backed up on c drive but will not open. If the file is damaged can I correct it?
    Thanks again for your patience
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How are you trying to open the file?  What EXACTLY happens when you try?  Any messages or codes?
    And, please confirm that the file name ends in ".QDF-backup"
    Can you open other/older backup files?

• tysicr
    tysicr Member ✭✭
    Options
    Initially I back up which shows "Quicken QDF backup, however when I go to open through quicken "
    open quicken file" the file is not recognizable.
    When backing up message states successful
This discussion has been closed.