Quicken 2015 worked on my Windows 10 before I had to reinstall Now won't work

Options
Luckie
Luckie Member ✭✭
I had quicken 2015 installed on my Windows 10 PC. Had a problem and had to reinstall Windows 10. I installed Quicken on the new Windows 10 . I followed the instructions on the Internet.
Turned off virus protection
Installed Quicken 2015 Deluxe. Did not open Quicken. Then installed the patch.
When I opened my quicken file it appeared briefly and then loaded a blank screen.
The only tabs available are File and help.
Under File it has create or open a Quicken file.
I tried to create a new Quicken file but it did the same thing. Opened and then flashed to the blank screen.
How do I get Quicken to work? I have tried the suggestion several times with no luck.
Luckie

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After installing Quicken, together with the highest available Patch file number, did you remember to restore your Quicken data file from a backup or does the Quicken data file still exist in its usual folder location (e.g., \Documents\Quicken)?
    What happens when you click on the File Menu?
    Does this open a popup menu, with a list of last used file names at the bottom? If so, select the file numbered "1".
    No list of file names? Select "Restore a Backup File" and follow instructions to restore.
    If you get stuck on this blank screen again, completely disconnect your computer from the Internet: Unplug Ethernet cable. Disable WiFi connection. Now start Quicken again.
    If you can get in and you get a registration request,...

Bypass registration (Quicken for Windows US 2015 only)

You can bypass the registration request by holding Ctrl + Shift and clicking the Update Accounts blue arrow icon to turn off the registration requirement.  When the message “You will no longer be prompted for registration” appears, click OK.
    (This does not resolve any Intuit ID / Quicken ID issues in newer versions)

• Luckie
    Luckie Member ✭✭
    Options
    After installing I click on the file menu. It shows file menu and the list of file names I have tried to open. When I do a restore, the file restores but flashes on the screen for a moment and then back to the blank screen with only the file and help tabs. I can see it loaded when it flashes on the screen but it won't stay open just goes back to the blank screen. I have tried to open an existing file, restore a backup and created a new file.
    I have turned off my Internet and unplugged it as suggested. My files load and then quickly disappears.
    Thanks for your comments.
    Luckie
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    UKR said:
    After installing Quicken, together with the highest available Patch file number, did you remember to restore your Quicken data file from a backup or does the Quicken data file still exist in its usual folder location (e.g., \Documents\Quicken)?
    What happens when you click on the File Menu?
    Does this open a popup menu, with a list of last used file names at the bottom? If so, select the file numbered "1".
    No list of file names? Select "Restore a Backup File" and follow instructions to restore.
    If you get stuck on this blank screen again, completely disconnect your computer from the Internet: Unplug Ethernet cable. Disable WiFi connection. Now start Quicken again.
    If you can get in and you get a registration request,...

Bypass registration (Quicken for Windows US 2015 only)

You can bypass the registration request by holding Ctrl + Shift and clicking the Update Accounts blue arrow icon to turn off the registration requirement.  When the message “You will no longer be prompted for registration” appears, click OK.
    (This does not resolve any Intuit ID / Quicken ID issues in newer versions)

I don’t think that bypass works for Q2015.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hopefully, you still have the backup of the needed files.  I do believe that the Quicken folder is in an Intuit folder with QW2015.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Luckie
    Luckie Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have backups of all my quicken files for 2015 but can't open them. I can't restore any of them. Quicken worked on my Windows 10 before I had to have Windows 10 reinstalled. I had no problem when I first loaded Quicken on my new computer which is 2 years old. I had the problem with Windows 10 and couldn't do anything on my computer so had Windows 10 reinstalled. I installed Quicken as I did when I first got the computer and it worked fine. After reinstalling Windows 10 and Quicken, Quicken loads file but only for a moment then goes to blank screen with two tabs, file and help. Could it be something in the reinstalled Windows 10 that is causing the problem? I am not a computer whiz. I was hoping someone could help me get access to my Quicken 2015 files. I was told I could get Quicken 2013 which would be ok but then I could not access my Quicken 2015 files.
    Thanks for all the comments.
    Luckie
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Luckie As stated and explained in the thread I referenced, your QW2015 installation is hosed unless you can come up with a copy of YOUR Quicken.ini file from your original installation of Quicken & Windows prior to doing the Windows re-install.
    Did you not ever make any system image backups of your computer?

• Luckie
    Luckie Member ✭✭
    Options
    I installed Quicken from my original CD. I did a file search on my computer for a quicken.ini file and found one file in the C:\Windows directory. What do you mean by "your QW2015 is hosed". I do make backups of my files but did not know about a system image backup.
    Luckie
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What I mean by hosed is that it is not going to work.  Quicken recently made a change in their registration servers that prevents a new install/re-install of Quicken 2014-2017 (they are no longer supported in any manner) from being registered, so it makes it unusable.  Finding the Quicken.ini in the location cited in the above mentioned thread and copying it into the new installation alleviates necessity of the program registering and makes Quicken usable.
    Your backups are just fine, it is the program that is the problem.

• Luckie
    Luckie Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for all your help. Thought maybe I could get it to work but I was wrong.
    Luckie
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Luckie - It does appear that if you wish to recover the data in your Quicken 2015 data file you will need to subscribe to Quicken.  Once you subscribe, download and install it you should be able to convert your Quicken 2015 data file.
    Since you would be a new subscriber you can probably qualify for a new subscriber discount which is often 30%-40% off both on Quicken.com and from many retailers.  Then you would have 30 days to try it out to see if it is something you like and want.  If you don't like or want it, cancel the subscription within that 30 days window to get a full refund.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.