Quicken Files

Ranger
Ranger Member ✭✭
I have files QUICKEN 11 through QUICKEN 17 which were created on the same date that I renewed my current version (R44.8) on 4/10/22. They show up when I view the Windows uninstall. I am concerned if I uninstall them as I do not know what they contain. If I look at the Program Folder, they do not appear. In the uninstall view, they do not have the red icon with the Q. It shows an icon with multiple items which I cannot explain. What are those files and can I uninstall or delete them. The seven files all contain 480.45MB. I have a hearing problem and cannot call. [Removed - Private Information] Thank You! John B

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please elaborate upon what you mean by "QUICKEN 11 through QUICKEN 17".  Are they perhaps Q data files that you used to contain 2011 thru 2017 data?
    A picture would be helpful.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ranger
    Ranger Member ✭✭
    Well, I am not sure what you mean by Q data files. One place they show is on the IObit uninstaller. I will attach an image from their screen of items to uninstall. Hopefully, that will determine what they are.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken program files contain NO DATA, only the program.  As long as you have a current backup of your data file on a removable media (USB drive, CD/DVD, etc), there should not be any issue with un-installing the older Quicken programs using the Control Panel routine.
    If something does go wrong, you have the backup to restore your data file from.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your actual data file or files end in .qdf and .qdf-backup.  They should be in your Documents in a Quicken sub folder.  They are not in the program files or under Windows programs. You can only have 1 Quicken program installed at a time.  Each time you updated or installed a new program it should uninstall the prior version.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    With Q open, do you have some number (probably 4) files listed on the FILE menu just above the EXIT command?
    Those are you Q data files and the full path to them.
    I find it MOST curious, however, that what certainly appears to be your Q11-16 PROGRAM files all appear to be the same size ... because the program changed significantly in features and size during that period.

• Ranger
    Ranger Member ✭✭
    I also find this curious! I have not done anything to Quicken except for updates Quicken sends and installs. I am attaching an image of the data shown above the EXIT for your review. I am still confused as what to do and it seems that Quicken is taking longer to come up after I enter my password. I defiantly do not want to jeopardize my data or Quicken by doing something incorrectly. Any suggestions as what I should do? Does Quicken have a troubleshooter? THANKS for the help!!
  • Ranger
    Ranger Member ✭✭
    Ranger,
    Thank you for the information thus far! I am wondering if you have any more ideas or suggestions regarding my question about the numerous QUICKEN files I have shown you previously? If you recall they are Quicken 11 through Quicken 17 and all have the same size of 480.45MB. John B.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What your graphic is showing is that you're OPENING backup files instead of RESTORING them (File, Restore a Backup file).
    A proper restore will shorten your file name to JMBFILE.QDF and you should be on your merry way.

• Ranger
    Ranger Member ✭✭
    "I" am not OPENING backup files. I click on the Quicken icon and the system opens files. As far as backup is concerned, it is usually accomplished by an auto Quicken backup. I know there is a manual backup, but I normally let Quicken backup when it determines it should. Please explain "proper restore" and steps I should take. Thank You!
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well at one time you must have opened a backup file and used it as the current file going forward.  That's why the dates keep getting added on to the end of the file name.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ranger
    I'm not familiar with the IOBit Uninstaller program, what is shown if you use the program un-installer process in Control Panel?
    It could be that your program is showing items due to items left in the Windows Registry and not actually installed.

• Ranger
    Ranger Member ✭✭
    Ranger, With all due respect to you guys for your suggestions as to what it may be, I still do not know WHAT IT IS nor WHAT TO DO. I now feel I should just uninstall my current version of Quicken. The days I wrote programs in ALC and COBOL for mainframes have long passed me. My direct question is after I uninstall Quicken, how do I reinstall it with the current version, how do I get my license back to the expiration date I have now? Can you provide me a step 1, step 2 etc. uninstall and reinstall procedure so an old man can understand.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF you have a current, active subscription with Quicken, you can download the installation program from Quicken.com.  Login there with your Quicken Id and Password.
    Execute the installation program and after Quicken is started the first time, you will be asked to register/login with that same Quicken Id and Password.
    If Quicken doesn't find your last opened data file automatically, use File->Open Quicken File.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Ranger
    Ranger Member ✭✭
    Splasher, Thank you for the information. I will give a shot. I hope it gets rid of those strange files which I believe are causing the problems. I believe this all started when I renewed my license for Quicken. I have no idea. If I did use a backup file I should remember what and why and I do not. Thanks again for the information!
  • Ranger
    Ranger Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Guys, I have been going around in [Removed - Profanity] circles for hours. I rarely contact the Quicken.com site and now I cannot get my password. They send you around for a [Removed - Language] 6 digit code and when I then go to my email to get the code and back to enter the code, they say it has expired. If I want to get an email contact for help, I must wait forever. I do not understand how this can be my problem, yet the Quicken assistance provides nothing for the money I have spent for the past 30-plus years. [Removed - Sarcasm/Disruptive/Rant]  
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your password for Quicken.com "should" be the same as you use for this forum.

• Ranger
    Ranger Member ✭✭
    I didn't need a password for this forum. I entered sign into my account and it shows asterisks for the password. If I go from there to change my password, I enter a new password and then it asks for my current password and I am back to GO without collecting $200 or anything else. Yes, my useful days are over on this planet as most old men 85 years young have already discovered.
  • Ranger
    Ranger Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Because of a hearing problem, I cannot use or have a cell phone either. That eliminates the texting the [Removed - Language] six-digit code.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    You should be able to find your password for quicken.com since it seems to be stored in your web browser as indicated by the asterisks. What web browser are you using?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ranger
    Ranger Member ✭✭
    Ranger, First of all I want to thank you for all your help. With a lot of persistence and a little vino I was able to get past those nasty 6-digit codes and reset my one of 2 Quicken passwords. I then uninstalled the version of Quicken I had on my computer. Those strange files Quicken 2011 through quicken 2018 were still listed in the Programs file. I copied them with a non-Quicken name in a different file and then uninstalled them via the Windows uninstall utility. I then logged on to Quicken and downloaded the Quicken Deluxe and the download was successful. I then clicked on the ex-file to install the app. It ran for awhile and then aborted. I received an error message which I am attaching and I them took a snapshot of what I could of the log the install produced. I attempted to copy the entire log, but could not, so hopefully the snapshot version will help.

I may be as frustrated as you, but I doubt it since you cannot reach out and clobber me. I have the original install disks, but since they stopped butting a date on them, I do not which was the last one I used so that rules out that; maybe, it doesn't make a difference, I don't know. In any event, I will gratefully accept any suggestions you may have.

I hope your team wins today as your frustration must be at the maximum level now. John B
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I would suggest rerunning IObit Uninstaller and removing anything with Quicken in the name. Make sure that C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken and C:\ProgramData\Quicken (you need to show hidden files to see the ProgramData folder). Then rerun the Quicken Deluxe installer that you downloaded.
  • Ranger
    Ranger Member ✭✭
    Update: For those mysterious Quicken files with a year show up in the IOBIT Uninstaller, I used the IOBIT Uninstaller to uninstall them. It indicated they were uninstalled, but they were still there. The only thing it did was to eliminate the publisher which was either Intuit or Quicken. It did provide a location, but when I went there, there were several items in a Quicken file, but not any of the ones which still appear in IOBIT. I reran the uninstallers from Windows and IOBIT and nothing was removed and the items were still in the Programs X86 file. I just deleted the entire file and reinstalled Quicken with the lat6est data backup. I then ran the IOBIT to see what was there. It showed the Quicken icon with 480.85 mb along with the same mysterious QUICKEN 2011, Quicken 2012, Quicken 2014 etc for a total of six files, Quicken 2013 is missing. Each of the year files have 480.85mg including the one with the normal Quicken icon file. All show a date of 11/06/2022. The files with a Quicken name and year have an icon which appears to be a small monitor screen, CD and what could be a CPU. Why did it reinstall the mysterious files again? Why didn't it reinstall one for 2013? Possibly a Quicken expert can determine why. It just seems they are talking up a lot of storage and I have no idea what else it is doing. All of you have helped me a great deal, but it appears I am right back where I was. As Ranger indicated earlier, the mysterious files all having the same 480.45mg is indeed curious. Since I don't have a source list and/or core dump, I am at a total loss. I am just glad I still have my data, but there appears that the APP still has a problem. Thanks to all ! John B.
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Call TECH Support....  

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I skimmed through this thread.... As I recall, when you install a new version of Qucken, it uninstalls any other version of Quickem  so progam files from Q11-Q17 are probably remnant folders that do nothing but take up space....
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Those old versions of Quicken are not being reinstalled. I believe they're left parts of previous Quicken installations that are not being removed by IObit Uninstaller. Try the free Revo portable uninstaller. https://www.revouninstaller.com/start-freeware-download-portable/
  • Ranger
    Ranger Member ✭✭
    I used the IOBIT Pro and it indicated it uninstalled three of the mysterious files. I them started Quicken and it just sat there with the red Quicken logo. It appears I will now have to do a complete uninstall and reinstall. This is very strange that Ranger says it is curious the files are all the same size with the same install dates. I also find it very curious that the Quicken staff of programmers have not attempted to get with me for prints of something or some trouble shooting app. I have been a Quicken user for almost 30 years and this is extremely unusual. Contacting anyone there is virtually impossible as many comments on their site can attest to. I attempted to download the REVNO uninstalled, but I just did not understand their usage instructions and technical vocabulary. I would have been shot if I wrote a user manual like that, but what do I know I am from the "do it right the first time" generation". It also seems logical to me that when a new version is installed, the older versions are uninstalled. Thea government should have let Microsoft buy them out years ago and it would have a better application today. Your right, I'm totally P'ed. John B.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    The Revo Uninstaller is a zip file. Right click on RevoUninstaller_Portable.zip and choose Extract All. open the RevoUninstaller_Portable\RevoUninstaller_Portable and double click RevoUPort to remove the Quicken leftovers. Reinstall Quicken. (P.S. Why do you keep referring to Ranger? Aren't you Ranger? At least that's your Quicken Community name.)
This discussion has been closed.